What is a Hula Hoop
The first mentions of tools resembling a hula hoop go as far in time as ancient Egypt. It went into oblivion and then came back, again and again. Surely, the item that survived this long must be great. And it really is! Although when they emerged in the middle of the 20th century they were positioned as children's toys, hula hoops nowadays are an essential part of gymnastics and fitness. A whole bunch of exercises was created for hula hoops, so far it stopped being used solely for your waist. Now you can also twirl a hula hoop around your arms, neck, and lower back. And some really athletic people can even dance and perform tricks with it! Don't you want to be one of them?
For starters, hula hoop exercises are one of the most effective to lose weight and develop a beautiful waist. But that's far from all! There are more benefits you can get from hula hoops. Improve your motor coordination, get more flexible, restore and revitalize your cardiovascular system. Even intestine gets better when you use hula hoops continuously. And don't make us start on back muscles and abs. A fascinating posture also goes without saying.
If you’re into sports or just keep fit regularly, you’ll probably find our jump ropes review useful.
What Features to Compare
Before making a decision, let's see what Types of hula hoops are offered on the market today. The variety is quite wide, the hula hoops differ in materials they are made of, intended use, and even functionality. You can find metal hula hoops, but more often they are made of plastic and have rubber or foam paddings for you to avoid bruises and pain. So, let's explore!
- Traditional hula hoops have a smooth surface. That's how they mostly looked through ages and that's the type often recommended for beginners.
- Massage hula hoops have waves or other irregularities on their inner side to massage your body while you are exercising.
- Gym hula hoops are durable and flexible, they are often made of fiber-reinforced material. Owing to their elasticity, you can use them not only as hula hoops but also transform them into training equipment of other shapes.
- Mini hula hoops can be used on your arms.
- Hula hoops with counters are probably the most modern tools. As the name suggests, they have counters attached that count the turns you make and calculate the calories you lose.
- Fire and LED hula hoops also exist, but those additions are made more for performance reasons than to add to their functionality. Also, to work with fire, one needs to be well-trained.
The hula hoop's Weight and Size are important in the view of your goal. Are you just trying to lose several pounds/kilos? Or maybe your long-lasting wish was to learn hoop dancing? Everything counts. Almost any type of hula hoop can be either regular or weighted. We recommend you to start with a regular one if you are only trying this wonderful sport out, and also if you strive to dance with the hula hoop. You can switch to the weighted hoop later when you gain some experience. As for the size, the professional hula hoop users always say that the beginner's hula hoop should reach at least your belly button when placed vertically on the floor. Some people prefer their hoops to reach as far as the middle of the chest. Again, you will be able to use smaller hula hoops later with experience, as the large hula hoops are simply easier to play with. With time, your body gets used to any training, and the weight loss decreases. Or you may get bored with the same load. When you need more intense training, you may also switch to a smaller hoop, for the smaller size demands faster turning in order to not fall down, so the load on your body will be greater.
And, finally, leave some room to think about Design of your workout hoops. If you live in an apartment and space is limited, you like exercising in a park or in the gym, or if you would like to take hula hoop with you when you travel (for a holiday or for business purposes), let your eyes fall upon a collapsible hula hoop. Some of them can be bent, some are disassembled into two, four, six, or even eight parts to fit into your bag. With a collapsible hoop, you will forget about the inconveniences of large hula hoops.
That's about it. Following, there are reviews of five hula hoops we find the most convenient and beneficial to health and body shape. Look through, and choose the one you find your personal best.