The CHI GF7057 has a color-coded LCD screen, allowing you to see the temperature selected and comes with a thermal mat where you can place it to cool down. What's more, it has an innovative ceramic&titanium coating, which m a safe option for everyone.
Doesn't have an auto shut-off function.
If you have long and thick hair, you definitely need the CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron. It has wide plates that can heat up to 425 degrees F almost instantly, making styling your hair a quick and effortless process.
1.25-inch titanium infused ceramic plates
3 temperature modes: green (370°F), blue (395°F), red (425°F), Manual temperature adjustment available
Color-coded LCD-screen, Dual voltage (110V - 230V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included
Fitted with 1.5-inch plates, it's an ideal solution for girls with particularly long or thick hair. Also, it boasts one of the quickest heat-up time, which allows saving time in the morning.
Not good for straightening short bangs.
If you live an active life and would like to reduce the time spent on the morning routine, the CHI Expert Classic iron is the right fit for you. Its wide plates can smooth more hair per one pass. Plus, they can grip onto thick hair better and, accordingly, do a better job of straightening coarse hair than thin irons.
1.5-inch curved floating wide plates
Adjustable temperature (330°F - 410°F)
Up to 30 seconds
Adjustable temperature dial, Dual voltage (110V - 230V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included, 1-hour auto shut-off
The iron uses the advanced CHI Ceramic 44 plates. They are made of ceramics and 44 inorganic materials, which results in the incredibly healthy styling.
You might need some time to customize it for your hair type.
This professional flat iron uses superior titanium-infused ceramic plates. It reaches the needed temperature just in a matter of seconds, which means that you'll save some time on your morning routine.
1-inch titanium-infused ceramic plates
3 temperature modes: green (370°F), blue (395°F), red (425°F), Manual temperature adjustment available
Color-coded LCD-screen, Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included
This one has the longest power cord on the list, boasts fast heat up, and has dual voltage. A good option for those who seek manueverabiltiy and convenience.
The temperature isn't adjustable.
If you look for something special, you should seriously consider the CHI Lava Volcanic iron. It's a unique straightener designed with minerals found in the volcanic lava, which are claimed to strengthen the hair while creating smooth, sleek results without damage. Ideal for daily use.
1-inch ceramic plates (infused with Lava Rock)
1 mode (~395°F), Non-adjustable temperature
Up to 30 seconds
Dual voltage (110V - 230V), Swivel cord, 1-hour auto shut-off
A long 9-foot swivel cord allows you to comfortably use the appliance, even if there's no power outlet nearby. And the risk of twisting is minimal.
No dual voltage.
Often plait your hair or do ponytail because of frizziness? Then get the CHI CA1013 iron and create different hairstyles daily. Due to unique tourmaline coating, the plates reduce static and give that polished look you're dreaming of.
1-inch tourmaline ceramic plates
Manual temperature adjustment (180°F - 410°F)
9' swivel cord, Auto shut-off
For Coarse Hair
The CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron is an excellent choice for those with long, thick, and unruly hair. The iron features 1.25" titanium-infused ceramic plates that straighten larger hair sections in one go. It will glide through coarse hair effortlessly even if you take large chunks, leaving your hair super soft. Of course, if you need to smooth very frizzy hair, you should choose the highest temperature setting (400-425 degrees F). If you want to straighten long but thin fine hair, you need to choose the low heat mode (0-370 degrees F). And for medium wavy hair, it's better to select moderate heat (375-395 degrees F). Like pro CHI models, this one has a color-coded LCD digital screen that flashes Blue, Green, or Red depending on the temperature mode. Also, this straightener uses famous CHI ceramic floating plates infused with high-grade titanium. Therefore, you can be sure that the iron will stand the test of time. Even after 5 years of daily use, the plates will still provide you with effective snag-free styling.
The CHI G2 flat iron comes with the red thermal mat which allows you to wrap the device right after use and carry it wherever you need. We would like to point out that this is a dual-voltage straightener, so you can take it on trips.
Straighten Like a Pro
Straightening unruly and frizzy hair can be tough. However, the CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron with wide 1.25-inch plates will really make even extremely coarse hair super smooth if follow these tips.
1. If you have very thick and kink hair, try to avoid shampoos with suds. Instead, use sulfate-free shampoos which won’t dry out your hair.
2. Before using the CHI G2 straightener, always dry your hair completely. However, you don't have to blow-dry it perfectly. Give it a rough drying. Just shake your dryer back and forth, keep its nozzle facing downwards to prevent frizziness.
3. Try to use brushes with boar bristle, since plastic can cause static. Boar bristles will smooth and polish your hair, instead.
4. Apply a thermal protective haircare product before straightening. You can use CHI 44 Iron Guard thermal spray that can protect up to 450 degrees F and resist humidity to reduce the frizz factor.
5. Avoid too high temperatures. Actually, the CHI PRO G2 425-degree setting was designed for in-salon use. Only extremely coarse hair does need the super high heat. If you have thin, damaged, or color-treated hair, you'd better choose 300 - 350 degrees F temperature settings.
6. The CHI G2 uses titanium-infused ceramic plates that heat evenly so that you won't need to run through one section more than once.
7. Don't grab randomly strands of hair. Create sections so that you can easily track your progress. Plus, sectioning will save you time significantly.
8. Pass each strand only once. Fewer passes means less damage. Create some tension, and then pull the CHI G2 iron downward starting from the root
9. Add finishing products to add shine and reduce frizz. You can use famous CHI Silk Infusion. It's better to wait until your hair cools down.
CHI Expert Classic
The Latest Technology
It's not only the vibrant pink casing that makes this iron so appealing for customers. It's the latest technologies combined with cute design and nice extras.
For starters, we would like to emphasize that the straightener boasts one of the quickest heat-ups in the industry. It's ready for use in just 30 seconds after switching on. With that, the heat is distributed evenly throughout the whole plate surface. Using the adjustable temperature dial, you can choose heat from 330 to 410 degrees F.
Utilizing the newest technology, the unit deftly combines Tourmaline and Ceramic to produce an exceptionally high amount of negative ions and Far Infrared heat. Therefore, the iron effectively copes with static and frizziness. The plates have a floating design and are suitable for straightening, curling, waving and flipping.
As a nice touch, this styling tool comes with a heat-proof pouch included in the set. This way, you can use it as a mat to rest the hot iron on when styling or as a handy bag for transportation. No need to wait until the iron gets cool. Just wrap and go.
Wide irons are becoming incredibly popular among big brands that produce professional irons, and CHI is no exception. Although this flat iron looks a little bit bulkier than standard 1-inch straighteners, it proves to have its benefits.
To begin with, the iron has wide 1 1/5-inch plates that are ideal for women with particularly long or thick hair. The straightener covers more surface and, as a result, it's a lot more efficient when running through coarse locks or hair of significant length. Also, the plates can grip onto thick hair better and, accordingly, do a better job at straightening coarse hair compared to thinner irons.
Next, the wider the plates, the quicker the styling time. Naturally, large 1 1/5-inch plates can straighten more hair per one pass, thus, reducing the straightening time significantly. Add to this a super-quick heat-up time, and you'll get an ideal tool for busy women.
In a word, if you live an active life and would like to reduce the time spent on your morning routine, the CHI Expert Classic iron is the right fit for you. Its wide plates can smooth more hair per one pass. Plus, as the plates grip onto thick hair better, the straightener is a good choice for women with coarse, unruly hair.
Always with You
The CHI PRO G2 Digital hair straightener is a professional salon model of the next generation. It boasts an upgraded technology and superior performance. The CHI PRO G2 can really make your hair smooth from top to tip. It has a sleek ergonomic design with titanium-coated ceramic plates. CHI engineers have infused their famous ceramic floating plates with high-grade titanium for better durability and snag-free styling. They ensure super-smooth glide to help you create silky and frizz-free hairstyles. What is notable, the iron gets ready ultra-fast! It takes the plates only 40 seconds to heat up, so you can start straightening almost instantly. And then, plates stay hot longer compared to other models. However, note that this flat iron doesn't have an auto-shutoff function. In addition to straightening your hair and giving it that fantastic body, this iron can also help you create slight waves, curls, and flips.
The CHI PRO G2 flat iron is an excellent travel option. It has an ergonomic design and is pretty lightweight. Best of all, it comes with a bright red travel pouch with a handy Velcro strap. The iron is dual-voltage, meaning you can take it overseas to create flawless hairstyles during your trips. Overall, this CHI ceramic hair straightener works wonderfully and is definitely worth the money.
What's Your Color?
This hair straightener has a black sleek body with an all-digital LCD display showing you the current temperature setting in a unique way. The display is color-coded and can inform you when the needed temperature is reached. When it flashes blue, this means that 0-370 degrees F mode is chosen. The light heat is good for fine and damaged hair. The green mode (375-395 degrees F) is suitable for medium and curly hair, while the red setting (400-425 degrees F) can help you tame extremely coarse, thick, and unruly hair.
The manufacturer recommends you to use the straightener with dry or slightly damp hair for the best results. And for added thermal protection, you can treat your hair with the special CHI Iron Guard spray. It will help seal the hair cuticle and prevent any damage. Spray it evenly over dry hair and go from roots to ends with the CHI PRO G2 Digital titanium-infused ceramic flat iron for that super-smooth salon finish.
Overall, we can safely recommend this model for those who need a budget-friendly device for a slick finish and long-lasting results.
The Power of Volcano
If you look for something really special, you should seriously consider the CHI Lava Volcanic Lava Ceramic Hairstyling Iron. As the name suggests, it's a unique straightener designed with the minerals that can be found in the volcanic lava - some of the most effective heat-conducting materials in the world.
The combo of volcanic lava with CHI ceramic is claimed to strengthen your hair while ensuring smooth, sleek results without exposing your hair to damage by heat. While this does like the company simply touts its product, many customers acknowledge that it really works. According to feedback, the styler not only effectively smoothes hair but also makes it incredibly silky to the touch without the use of any additional hair products. So, if you straighten your hair every day, the Lava Volcanic hair iron by CHI might be the best deal.
Made with high-quality materials, the CHI Lava Volcanic Lava Ceramic Hairstyling Iron is also very lightweight which makes it easy to use it and maneuver in the hand: whether you style your own hair or straighten someone's locks, there won't be a strain. What's more, due to a tight seal, the straightener doesn't pull hair and ensures perfectly smooth glide each time.
Aside from Volcanic Lava addition, the straightener offers quick heat up, reaching 395 degrees F temperature in around 30 seconds, and gets the job done per a few passes so you won't need to spend ages. However, the straightener isn't flawless and there's one minor complaint. While it does it job and does it fairly quickly, it's a shame there're no adjustment options and you get only one temperature setting to play with. This won't be a problem for those who have thick and healthy hair, but if your hair is treated or dyed, styling it won't be safe.
That said, we still love the CHI Lava Volcanic flat iron. It's effective, it's comfy to use, and it's well-designed. The controls are straightforward and placed so that you won't be able to accidentally hit them while using it. Plus, the device has a very long power cord. Being 11 inches in length, it will provide real freedom of movement.
All things considered, if you need a quality straightener to use on thick, strong and healthy hair not prone to brittleness, the CHI Lava Volcanic flat iron may be a good option! With 395 degrees F temperature and extremely quick heat up, it will transform your hair in seconds, making it shiny and silky to the touch.
Create a Stylish Look with CHI AIR
No matter whether you're going to go straight or curly, the CHI Air Ceramic Flat Iron will help you customize your look. It is fitted with 1-inch floating plates that can help you straighten, curl, spiral, wave, flip, and bend your hair. The plates are produced with the latest innovative technology that combines Tourmaline Ceramic and Far Infrared heat. The plates distribute heat evenly and infuse your hair with an incredibly high amount of negative ions to reduce static and frizziness. As a result, your hair will be smooth, silky, and shiny. The plates heat up rapidly - just in one minute after switching on, you can style your hair. The iron glides through hair smoothly without tangling or causing breakage.
This CHI 1-inch flat iron has a long 9' swivel cord that gives you the flexibility of use. It has a shut-off function and will automatically turn off after one hour after switching on. The CHI Air Ceramic straightener is a salon-quality product suitable for all hair types. Thanks to a handy dial, you can choose the needed temperature from the range of 180 - 410 degrees F. This is one of the best CHI straighteners for fine and thick hair since it has two settings allowing you to choose the one that suits your hair type. Even if you have thick and long hair, you'll be able to straighten your whole head in less than 20 minutes, thanks to the quick heat-up feature and a pretty high temperature setting. And since it has CHI 44 Ceramic heat pads, it won't burn your hair even though it gets very hot. It's ideal for all your styling needs. Just use your imagination and create a flawless polished look.
CHI 44 Ceramic Heat
The CHI Air 1 Ceramic Flat Iron uses innovative ceramic that is made of 44 inorganic substances including Mg, Mn, Fe, Ca, Si, Se, Zn, F, Ge, Al denatured at the extreme temperatures of 2,800 - 3,300 degrees F. This fired ceramic is solid and highly resistant to abrasion and wear. The Ionic bonds that link the ceramic particles together are much stronger than hard types of metal. CHI 44 Ceramic conducts and maintains heat much more efficiently than other materials. It provides some kind of "moist" heat compared to metal flat irons. Therefore, it neither dehydrates your hair nor fades its color. The CHI Air 1 Ceramic Flat will help you maintain optimal moisture levels in your hair. Moreover, this straightening tool produces negative Ions and Far Infrared frequencies pushing the silk molecules deep inside of the cortex. As a result, you get healthy hair with a sealed cuticle layer.
What Is a CHI Flat Iron?
CHI® is a leading brand that has been producing high-quality professional hair care products for more than 30 years. The motto of the company is “Education, Environment and Innovation”, and no wonder all their products are baked with the most advanced American technology. It is the CHI company that has created the first ceramic-plated flat iron nearly 20 years ago. Nowadays, the company manufactures multiple successful lines of hair straighteners that use titanium, tourmaline, ceramic, and teflon plates. But what are the benefits of these materials and which type will suit your hair type and your budget? In this guide, we round up the 5 best CHI hair straighteners for professional and home use and try to help you make your choice.
Everyone knows that no flat iron can be used on wet hair. That's why we also recommend you to get a professional hair blower that can instantly dry your hair without causing any damage. And if you want to give your hair more body, you might be interested in a hair boosting shampoo as well.
What Features to Compare
The first thing to consider is the size of the iron. There are various models available for your choice: you can find 1/2-inch, 1-inch and 2-inch hairstylers on the market. Small flat irons are considered the best option for users with short hair as well as those wearing bangs. Plus, they are a better option for traveling. When it comes to larger models, those can cover more hair and thus work perfectly for men and women with thick and long hair.
Next thing to consider is the plates. CHI straighteners include various models - ceramic flat irons, tourmaline straighteners, and advanced titanium models. All of these models have their own advantages, so you won't do wrong in choosing any of them. However, if you wonder what these advantages are, here are the key ones:
- Titanium flat irons heat up quickly and stay hot consistently during straightening. They produce 60% more negative ions than ceramic models. They are good for extremely curly and coarse hair. Titanium irons do a wonderful job smoothing hair and removing frizz. These straighteners are often used in professional salons.
- Ceramic irons offer gentle straightening and are suitable for most hair types, including fine and thin hair. They heat up evenly without “cold spots”, which allows them to effectively smooth hair and keep frizz at bay. Keep note that there are also ceramic-coated flat irons. Compared to ceramic ones, they are less durable, often resulting in uneven heat distribution and damaging hair.
- Tourmaline plates produce more negative ions than positive ions, thereby, sealing the hair shaft. They differ from ceramic and titanium plates in the way they work. They continuously produce negative ions to give greater results while producing less heat. And less heat means less damage to the hair, which makes them a great choice for all types of hair textures. It’s the newest material used in styling... and the priciest.
Also, consider the heat settings and max temperature a flat iron offers. A high maximum temperature will result in a faster and more effective straightening. The majority of CHI irons feature variable temperature settings allowing you to choose the appropriate heating mode for your hair texture. Flat Irons with digital displays ensure the highest level of accuracy.
The CHI® Transformation System
The CHI company offers you an amazing Transformation System that can make your hair much smoother and silkier, and no matter whether you have extremely frizzy or slightly wavy hair. The program consists of different phases we're going to guide you through.
- First of all, you should determine your hair condition and choose the suitable formula:
Formula A. Virgin/Resistant hair.
Formula B. Color/Chemically-treated hair.
Formula C. Highlighted, Porous/Fine hair.
- Then, wash your hair with CHI Infra Shampoo and towel dry your hair. Try not to disturb the scalp at this point. Apply CHI Infra Treatment to the porous and split ends and leave it on for 5 minutes. Then rinse and slightly dry your hair with a towel. Next, mist your hair with CHI Keratin Mist from roots to ends and leave it. Apply CHI Silk Infusion and let it soak in. Dry your hair using CHI professional hair blower that can infuse your hair with the CHI Keratin Mist and CHI Silk.
- Section the head into 4 equal quadrants, from center forehead hairline to center nape hairline and from ear to ear. Isolate 0.5-1 inch subsection around the hairline. Admeasure the chosen amount of Phase 1 CHI Transformation Solution in a plastic bowl and start the application from the bottom of your back quadrants (nape). Always remember to leave the hair subsections. Comb each section before the application of Phase 1 CHI Transformation Solution. Wear gloves and apply the solution generously to areas you want to straighten, keeping 1/8 inch away from the scalp. Pay particular attention to cowlicks and crown area. Follow the natural growth pattern of the hair, without adding too much tension to the roots. Do not comb the hair after application!
- Check the results every three minutes. To check the elasticity of the hair, take a small strand between your fingers and pull it in an outward direction. The hair should return back like an elastic band.
- Remove the product from the strand and check the formation against the palm of your hand. Slightly rinse the hair with lukewarm water for 5 minutes. Long hair requires 5-10 additional minutes. Towel dry the hair and then apply CHI Infra Treatment from roots to ends for 5 minutes. Rinse again and towel dry but still do not comb hair. Apply a generous amount of CHI Silk Infusion and leave it in.
- Begin to press roots and mid-shafts with the CHI Iron. Start at the nape section taking 1/8-inch horizontal strands. Gently press with your CHI iron in a downward motion from roots to mid-lengths. Try to get your CHI straightener as close to the scalp as possible. Use a fine-tooth comb to direct the hair. After you have pressed 2 to 3 subsections, continue to press the ends in the same manner. Do not curl or flip them when pressing. End with pressing top sections of the head. To get as close to the roots as possible, lift sections straight up from their base.
- Finally, bonding! Pour the desired amount of Phase 2 CHI Transformation Bonder into the plastic bowl. Apply a generous amount of the solution from roots to ends, smoothing the hair in a downward motion. Start at the nape area. After each section has been treated, you can comb in a downward motion to make sure that the hair stays smooth and straight. Process for 5 minutes at room temperature, rinse, and towel dry the hair. Apply CHI Infra Treatment and leave in for 5 minutes more. Then, rinse again and towel dry. Use the CHI Pro hair dryer to style your hair as you wish.
- Ta-da! Your hair is perfectly smooth, silky, and shiny.
If the process doesn't seem too complicated and you're ready to transform your hair, you should definitely get this wonderful formula as an addition to your CHI hair straightener.
Q: How long do the results of CHI Transformation System last?
A: The results are permanent.
Q: What should I remember when pressing with CHI iron when performing CHI Transformation System?
A: Do not press too hard at the root area. To eliminate bends or creases, lift the hair straight up from the roots. Always follow the natural growth pattern.
Q: Should I use hair protection before straightening?
A: Yes, you should. This will reduce hair damage significantly.
Q: How often should I clean my flat iron?
A: It's advisable to clean your flat iron right after each use, since build-up can reduce the effectiveness of plates.
Q: How to clean my flat iron?
A: First of all, plug in your iron and turn the lowest heat setting. The gentle heat will help soften any buildup or grime that may be on the plates. Then unplug the iron and let it cool on a heat-resistant mat for about 5 minutes. Once the flat iron cools down a bit, wipe it down with a damp cloth. Wipe all surfaces of the iron.
There are a lot of professional cleaning solutions for hairstyling tools on the market. And if you have already used your flat iron hundreds of times and now it's too dirty, you can use one of them.
Q: Is it OK to style my hair every day with a flat iron?
A: Although all CHI hair straighteners use the most advanced technologies and are extremely gentle on hair, it's not advisable to smooth your hair daily. Frequent straightening might overdry your hair, especially if you don't use thermal protection.
Q: Can I iron wet hair?
A: A big no! Your hair must be completely dry before straightening, otherwise, you might boil your hair.
Q: How to reduce damage to my hair?
A: Adjust the straightener to the lowest heat setting that works for your hair. Most CHI irons go up to 430 degrees, which is too hot for normal hair. If your hair is too fine, start with the lowest temperature. Iron one section of hair only once, if it's possible. And try to hold the styler in place no longer than 3-5 seconds. If your hair is thin and breaks easily, consider using a keratin treatment before styling.
Q: How to prolong the lifespan of my flat iron?
A: It's great if your flat iron has an automatic shut-off function. This feature can prevent a lot of troubles caused by uncareful handling of the tool. One more thing that adds to the safety is a heat-resistant mat on which you can put your flat iron. If your straightener doesn't have one, you can use a towel. Make sure to never lay the hot iron on bare surfaces as this can even set a fire. The final tip is to always keep your iron dry. If the water gets inside the flat iron, this might cause the malfunction.
1. Kathleen Doheny How Not to Wreck Your Hair, WebMD.
2. Tips for healthy hair, American Academy of Dermatology.
3. Phillip Picardi How To Straighten Hair: 11 Flat Iron Tips for Perfectly Straight Hair, teenVOGUE. November 8, 2017.
4. Hair straightening, Wikipedia.
5. Poorna Banerjee 5 Best Hair Straightening Tips When Using Flat Iron, STYLECRAZE. November 6, 2017.
6. Augusta Falletta 17 Useful Tricks For Anyone Who Uses A Hair Straightener, BuzzFeed. July 2, 2015.
7. Amanda Hawkins 6 Mistakes You Make With Your Flat Iron, GoodHousekeeping. November 5, 2014.