This ceramic heater uses larger than average plates of 1.25 inches. Thus, it can help you straighten long and thick hair faster and easier.
A beeping sound might be a bit annoying.
If you have long and extremely coarse hair, you definitely need the CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron. It has wide plates that can heat up to 425 degrees F almost instantly. So, styling your hair will become a fast and effortless procedure.
1.25-inch titanium infused ceramic plates
3 temperature modes: green (370°F), blue (395°F), red (425°F), Manual temperature adjustment available
Color-coded LCD-screen, Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included
Thanks to the built-in fuse, the device will be automatically turned off after 1 hour of operation, which adds to the safety of use.
The marking on the temperature dial fades over time.
The Air Pro Expert flat iron is a cute styling tool that boasts a tourmaline coating on its plates. Thus, it will not only make your hair bone straight but also give it unparallel shine. Forget about dullness and get ready to receive compliments on your hairstyle.
1-inch tourmaline ceramic plates
Manual temperature adjustment (180°F - 410°F)
Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included
The LED indicator shows whether the flat iron is ready or not. Once it shuts off, you can use the iron. It means that the iron has reached a preset temperature of 392° F.
There is no thermal mat in the set.
The CHI 176041 is the award-winning flat iron that has been a leader in styling industry for more than 10 years. It's a pretty basic model that is extremely easy to use. You just need to plug the device in. After a minute, you can start styling.
1-inch ceramic plates
1 mode (392°F), Non-adjustable temperature
Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord
This straightener produces twice more negative ions than other irons of the CHI brand. It helps seal the cuticle, reducing styling damage while locking in moisture.
The colored hair might stain the pink surface.
The CHI Smart Gemz is one of the leaders on the market. It boasts the latest technology and upgraded features to help you achieve salon-quality at-home styles. This model is well suitable for normal, thick, thin and damaged hair.
1-inch zirconium + titanium curved-shaped plates
3 temperature modes: green (370°F), blue (395°F), red (425°F), Manual temperature adjustment available, Memory temperature setting
Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord, 1-hour auto shut off, Thermal accessory bag and three hair clips included
The iron uses the advanced CHI Ceramic 44 plates. They are made of ceramics and 44 inorganic materials, which results in the incredibly healthy styling.
You might need some time to customize it for your hair type.
This professional flat iron uses superior titanium-infused ceramic plates. It reaches the needed temperature just in a matter of seconds, which means that you'll save some time on your morning routine.
1-inch titanium-infused ceramic plates
3 temperature modes: green (370°F), blue (395°F), red (425°F), Manual temperature adjustment available
Color-coded LCD-screen, Dual voltage (110 V - 230 V), Swivel cord, Thermal mat included
For Coarse Hair
The CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron is an excellent choice for those with long, thick, and unruly hair. The iron features 1.25" titanium-infused ceramic plates that straighten larger hair sections in one go. It will glide through coarse hair effortlessly even if you take large chunks, leaving your hair super soft. Of course, if you need to smooth very frizzy hair, you should choose the highest temperature setting (400-425 degrees F). If you want to straighten long but thin fine hair, you need to choose the low heat mode (0-370 degrees F). And for medium wavy hair, it's better to select moderate heat (375-395 degrees F). Like pro CHI models, this one has a color-coded LCD digital screen that flashes Blue, Green, or Red depending on the temperature mode. Also, this straightener uses famous CHI ceramic floating plates infused with high-grade titanium. Therefore, you can be sure that the iron will stand the test of time. Even after 5 years of daily use, the plates will still provide you with effective snag-free styling.
The CHI G2 flat iron comes with the red thermal mat which allows you to wrap the device right after use and carry it wherever you need. We would like to point out that this is a dual-voltage straightener, so you can take it on trips.
Straighten Like a Pro
Straightening unruly and frizzy hair can be tough. However, the CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron with wide 1.25-inch plates will really make even extremely coarse hair super smooth if follow these tips.
1. If you have very thick and kink hair, try to avoid shampoos with suds. Instead, use sulfate-free shampoos which won’t dry out your hair.
2. Before using the CHI G2 straightener, always dry your hair completely. However, you don't have to blow-dry it perfectly. Give it a rough drying. Just shake your dryer back and forth, keep its nozzle facing downwards to prevent frizziness.
3. Try to use brushes with boar bristle, since plastic can cause static. Boar bristles will smooth and polish your hair, instead.
4. Apply a thermal protective haircare product before straightening. You can use CHI 44 Iron Guard thermal spray that can protect up to 450 degrees F and resist humidity to reduce the frizz factor.
5. Avoid too high temperatures. Actually, the CHI PRO G2 425-degree setting was designed for in-salon use. Only extremely coarse hair does need the super high heat. If you have thin, damaged, or color-treated hair, you'd better choose 300 - 350 degrees F temperature settings.
6. The CHI G2 uses titanium-infused ceramic plates that heat evenly so that you won't need to run through one section more than once.
7. Don't grab randomly strands of hair. Create sections so that you can easily track your progress. Plus, sectioning will save you time significantly.
8. Pass each strand only once. Fewer passes means less damage. Create some tension, and then pull the CHI G2 iron downward starting from the root
9. Add finishing products to add shine and reduce frizz. You can use famous CHI Silk Infusion. It's better to wait until your hair cools down.
Be Stylish with Stylish CHI Iron
The CHI Air Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron is the classic CHI model that has been on the market for almost 20 years. It features the solid ceramic plates that really can’t be beaten. The plates are coated with tourmaline that ensures gentle heat and an incredibly smooth surface. They distribute heat evenly and stay consistent throughout the styling. And no hot spots means you can have a more polished finish that will hold up for a long while. The ceramic plates open and close with ease. They heat up almost instantly, and thanks to the temperature dial, it's very easy to adjust the heat. The temperature can be adjusted from 180 to 410 degrees F. The iron has an auto shut-off feature, so you don't need to worry about overheating.
The CHI air flat iron comes in a vibrant pink color. Of course, the color has nothing to do with the usability, but it's nice to have a cute styling tool. The device is dual-voltage, so you can take it overseas. To be convenient in use, it has a long 9-ft swivel cord and a handy LED indicator informing you whether the iron is ready or not.
The CHI CA1080 ceramic heater can really make your hair beautifully silky and straight. It's a stylish accessory that can travel with you anywhere you're going to. So, if you want to always have your hair full of life and body, get this.
Wavy Locks with the CHI CA1080
If you want to create perfect wavy locks everyone would envy, the CHI Air Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic styler will help you with that. This iron has thin 1-inch ceramic plates that can not only straighten your hair but curl and flip as well. Unbelievable, but this CHI Air hair straightener can create even smoother locks than tongs or a curling wand.
Step 1. Prepare your hair. Wash and dry your hair completely - wet hair won't curl at all, while dirty hair won’t hold its shape very well. It's a good idea to treat your hair with a thermal protectant before curling. You can use something from CHI 44 series.
Step 2. Part your hair into sections. Section your hair so that you can work on smaller parts at a time. If you want to create tighter curls, section your hair into small strands. Larger ones will help you achieve loose beachy waves.
Step 3. Twist and pull. Take one section of hair at a time and bring the CHI flat iron near the top (a few inches away from the roots). Clamp the hair with the straightener facing downwards vertically, then twist it around and pull. You can put your hand at the bottom when doing a full turn, and then gently slide it down the hair.
Step 4. Repeat the twist-and-pull action. Repeat the action until you get defined curls all over your head. Choose random sections to give your hairstyle a more natural look. If you want looser waves, you can run your fingers through your locks and tousle them. This will give a more relaxed finish and mask any imprints that might have been left by the iron.
Step 5. Finish up. Put a light mist of hairspray or any other special product for curly hair to keep your waves sleek and tight throughout the day.
Quality Tested by Years
The CHI Original 1" Flat Hair Straightening Iron has been taken leading positions on the market for more than 10 years. It has been voted the number one straightener by The Stylist's Choice Awards for several years. So, what's so special about it? This award-winning styling tool is beautiful in its simplicity. It has an ergonomic design with on/off button and a LED light. And with one temperature setting, it's super easy to use. You just plug it in and it works! What can be simpler than that?
The CHI flat iron heats up to 392 degrees F in a flash (less than a minute) and distributes the heat evenly along your hair. And just one pass of this straightening iron will be enough to give you super sleek look even if you have curly hair. However, note that it gets really hot and has only one heat setting that might not be very good for people with delicate hair. So, we recommend those with fine and thin hair to use the iron only in conjunction with CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protecting Shampoo, CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protecting Conditioner, or CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray.
The straightener glides effortlessly without catching your hair around the plates. The ceramic plates produce Far infrared heat and negative ions that reduce static electricity and add shine to your hair. Your hair won't look burnt or crispy, it will be always silky and smooth. The ceramic plates are 1-inch wide, which makes it possible for you to make sexy curls or loose beachy waves as well. The best part is that this original flat iron is very reasonably-priced yet incredibly durable. Although the manufacturer provides 2-year warranty, many customers say that the iron has already served them well for about 10 years. It's a great choice for everyone - from newbies to pros.
For Worldwide Use
The Chi Original Professional 1″ Ceramic Hairstyling Iron is not only very powerful but also pretty versatile thanks to its dual-voltage feature. The straightener is compatible with different electric networks and can work within 110V-230V range. You just need to get an adaptor and you’ll be able to take this flat iron almost anywhere in the world. However, it isn’t the only advantage of this model. It has an all-in-one ergonomic design and is very lightweight. For a convenient use and more freedom of movement, the manufacturer supplies the flat iron with a long 11-ft swivel cord. So, if you are a frequent traveler, this model can be the best bet for you.
CHI Smart Gemz
Looking for something unique? This straightener is extraordinary in more ways than one, starting from its stylish look and ending with technologies used for its production.
First off, the styler boasts exclusive patent pending plate technology. Its plates are made using both Zirconium and Titanium materials which gives it ideal styling surface that is easy to glide through the hair without pulling it. It also allows it to provide supreme results every time you style your hair by smoothing it and adding incredible shine.
Besides the exclusive Zirconium + Titanium plates, this styler is fitted with an ionic generator that, unlike other CHI irons, produces twice more ions, speeding up healing of the hair cuticle and preventing split ends, tangles, and hair breakage, which makes it a solid choice for users who has fine, thin or damaged hair. What's also of note is a wide temperature range. It offers 3 preset temperature modes and the option to choose a temperature manually, making it safe to use on any hair type.
Finally, the styler has a smart design. Featuring curved floating plates with a thin surface area, it allows you to experiment with multiple hairstyles, letting you not only straighten your hair but also add volume to it, create curls, waves and romantic flips. The CHI Smart Gemz offers a wide range of styling options, allowing everyone to achieve brilliant results.
Among other things worth your attention, we'd like to highlight its quick heat-up time. With the ability to reach the desired temperature in less than 30 seconds, it's one of the CHI stylers we've encountered so far.
As for aesthetics, the model is made in a vivid pink color with golden metallic printing, which makes it look nothing like most other straighteners on the market and truly appealing for design lovers.
Last but not least, this model comes with a convenient two-pocket thermal bag, which, thanks to its resistance to high temperatures, makes it possible to safely store and transport the styler immediately after use. Along with the bag come three hairstyling clips designed to help make the process of hair sectioning a bit easier and quicker.
All in all, the Smart Gemz Hairstyling Iron is well worth the money. It's customizable, gentle, and comes with a few useful accessories making its use safer and more comfortable. It'll suit just anyone looking for smooth and shiny at-home results. It boasts the latest technology and upgraded features to help you achieve salon-quality styles quickly and almost effortlessly.
Always with You
The CHI PRO G2 Digital hair straightener is a professional salon model of the next generation. It boasts an upgraded technology and superior performance. The CHI PRO G2 can really make your hair smooth from top to tip. It has a sleek ergonomic design with titanium-coated ceramic plates. CHI engineers have infused their famous ceramic floating plates with high-grade titanium for better durability and snag-free styling. They ensure super-smooth glide to help you create silky and frizz-free hairstyles. What is notable, the iron gets ready ultra-fast! It takes the plates only 40 seconds to heat up, so you can start straightening almost instantly. And then, plates stay hot longer compared to other models. However, note that this flat iron doesn't have an auto-shutoff function. In addition to straightening your hair and giving it that fantastic body, this iron can also help you create slight waves, curls, and flips.
The CHI PRO G2 flat iron is an excellent travel option. It has an ergonomic design and is pretty lightweight. Best of all, it comes with a bright red travel pouch with a handy Velcro strap. The iron is dual-voltage, meaning you can take it overseas to create flawless hairstyles during your trips. Overall, this CHI ceramic hair straightener works wonderfully and is definitely worth the money.
What's Your Color?
This hair straightener has a black sleek body with an all-digital LCD display showing you the current temperature setting in a unique way. The display is color-coded and can inform you when the needed temperature is reached. When it flashes blue, this means that 0-370 degrees F mode is chosen. The light heat is good for fine and damaged hair. The green mode (375-395 degrees F) is suitable for medium and curly hair, while the red setting (400-425 degrees F) can help you tame extremely coarse, thick, and unruly hair. The manufacturer recommends you to use the straightener with dry or slightly damp hair for the best results. And for added thermal protection, you can treat your hair with the special CHI Iron Guard spray. It will help seal the hair cuticle and prevent any damage. Spray it evenly over dry hair and go from roots to ends with the CHI PRO G2 Digital titanium-infused ceramic flat iron for that super-smooth salon finish.
What Is a CHI Flat Iron?
CHI® is a leading brand that has been producing high-quality professional hair care products for more than 30 years. The motto of the company is “Education, Environment and Innovation”, and no wonder all their products are baked with the most advanced American technology. It is the CHI company that has created the first ceramic-plated flat iron nearly 20 years ago. Nowadays, the company manufactures multiple successful lines of hair straighteners that use titanium, tourmaline, ceramic, and teflon plates. But what are the benefits of these materials and which type will suit your hair type and your budget? In this handy guide, we will round up the 5 best CHI hair straighteners for professional and home use and try to help you make your choice.
Everyone knows that no flat iron can be used on wet hair. That's why we also recommend you to get a professional hair blower that can instantly dry your hair without causing any damage. And if you want to give your hair a more body, you might be interested in a hair boosting shampoo.
What Features to Compare
First and foremost, you should choose the right size of plates according to your hair length and thickness. If you have short or fine hair, we recommend you to go for straighteners with slim 1/2"-1" plates. Narrow plates can also help you get to hard-to-reach spots. Plus, narrow flat irons are very compact and can easily fit into your travel bag. Medium plates from 1" to 1" 1/5' are good for medium-length wavy hair. However, for thick, frizzy, or long hair, it’s better to look for wider plates around 1" 1/2' - 2". The wider the plates are, the faster you can straighten your hair.
CHI straighteners come in a variety of different materials. There's no 'right' choice - all depends on your needs. Now, we'll try to give you a little boost in the right direction so you know what to opt for:
Also, consider the heat settings and max temperature a flat iron offers. A high maximum temperature will result in a faster and more effective straightening. The majority of CHI irons feature variable temperature settings allowing you to choose the appropriate heating mode for your hair texture. Flat Irons with digital displays ensure the highest level of accuracy.
The CHI® Transformation System
The CHI company offers you an amazing Transformation System that can make your hair much smoother and silkier, and no matter whether you have extremely frizzy or slightly wavy hair. The program consists of different phases we're going to guide you through.
- First of all, you should determine your hair condition and choose the suitable formula:
Formula A. Virgin/Resistant hair.
Formula B. Color/Chemically-treated hair.
Formula C. Highlighted, Porous/Fine hair.
- Then, wash your hair with CHI Infra Shampoo and towel dry your hair. Try not to disturb the scalp at this point. Apply CHI Infra Treatment to the porous and split ends and leave it on for 5 minutes. Then rinse and slightly dry your hair with a towel. Next, mist your hair with CHI Keratin Mist from roots to ends and leave it. Apply CHI Silk Infusion and let it soak in. Dry your hair using CHI professional hair blower that can infuse your hair with the CHI Keratin Mist and CHI Silk.
- Section the head into 4 equal quadrants, from center forehead hairline to center nape hairline and from ear to ear. Isolate 0.5-1 inch subsection around the hairline. Admeasure the chosen amount of Phase 1 CHI Transformation Solution in a plastic bowl and start the application from the bottom of your back quadrants (nape). Always remember to leave the hair subsections. Comb each section before the application of Phase 1 CHI Transformation Solution. Wear gloves and apply the solution generously to areas you want to straighten, keeping 1/8 inch away from the scalp. Pay particular attention to cowlicks and crown area. Follow the natural growth pattern of the hair, without adding too much tension to the roots. Do not comb the hair after application!
- Check the results every three minutes. To check the elasticity of the hair, take a small strand between your fingers and pull it in an outward direction. The hair should return back like an elastic band.
- Remove the product from the strand and check the formation against the palm of your hand. Slightly rinse the hair with lukewarm water for 5 minutes. Long hair requires 5-10 additional minutes. Towel dry the hair and then apply CHI Infra Treatment from roots to ends for 5 minutes. Rinse again and towel dry but still do not comb hair. Apply a generous amount of CHI Silk Infusion and leave it in.
- Begin to press roots and mid-shafts with the CHI Iron. Start at the nape section taking 1/8-inch horizontal strands. Gently press with your CHI iron in a downward motion from roots to mid-lengths. Try to get your CHI straightener as close to the scalp as possible. Use a fine-tooth comb to direct the hair. After you have pressed 2 to 3 subsections, continue to press the ends in the same manner. Do not curl or flip them when pressing. End with pressing top sections of the head. To get as close to the roots as possible, lift sections straight up from their base.
- Finally, bonding! Pour the desired amount of Phase 2 CHI Transformation Bonder into the plastic bowl. Apply a generous amount of the solution from roots to ends, smoothing the hair in a downward motion. Start at the nape area. After each section has been treated, you can comb in a downward motion to make sure that the hair stays smooth and straight. Process for 5 minutes at room temperature, rinse, and towel dry the hair. Apply CHI Infra Treatment and leave in for 5 minutes more. Then, rinse again and towel dry. Use the CHI Pro hair dryer to style your hair as you wish.
- Ta-da! Your hair is perfectly smooth, silky, and shiny.
If the process doesn't seem too complicated and you're ready to transform your hair, you should definitely get this wonderful formula as an addition to your CHI hair straightener.
Q: How long do the results of CHI Transformation System last?
A: The results are permanent.
Q: What should I remember when pressing with CHI iron when performing CHI Transformation System?
A: Do not press too hard at the root area. To eliminate bends or creases, lift the hair straight up from the roots. Always follow the natural growth pattern.
Q: Should I use hair protection before straightening?
A: Yes, you should. This will reduce hair damage significantly.
Q: How often should I clean my flat iron?
A: It's advisable to clean your flat iron right after each use, since build-up can reduce the effectiveness of plates.
Q: How to clean my flat iron?
A: First of all, plug in your iron and turn the lowest heat setting. The gentle heat will help soften any buildup or grime that may be on the plates. Then unplug the iron and let it cool on a heat-resistant mat for about 5 minutes. Once the flat iron cools down a bit, wipe it down with a damp cloth. Wipe all surfaces of the iron.
There are a lot of professional cleaning solutions for hairstyling tools on the market. And if you have already used your flat iron hundreds of times and now it's too dirty, you can use one of them.
Q: Is it OK to style my hair every day with a flat iron?
A: Although all CHI hair straighteners use the most advanced technologies and are extremely gentle on hair, it's not advisable to smooth your hair daily. Frequent straightening might overdry your hair, especially if you don't use thermal protection.
Q: Can I iron wet hair?
A: A big no! Your hair must be completely dry before straightening, otherwise, you might boil your hair.
Q: How to reduce damage to my hair?
A: Adjust the straightener to the lowest heat setting that works for your hair. Most CHI irons go up to 430 degrees, which is too hot for normal hair. If your hair is too fine, start with the lowest temperature. Iron one section of hair only once, if it's possible. And try to hold the styler in place no longer than 3-5 seconds. If your hair is thin and breaks easily, consider using a keratin treatment before styling.
Q: How to prolong the lifespan of my flat iron?
A: It's great if your flat iron has an automatic shut-off function. This feature can prevent a lot of troubles caused by uncareful handling of the tool. One more thing that adds to the safety is a heat-resistant mat on which you can put your flat iron. If your straightener doesn't have one, you can use a towel. Make sure to never lay the hot iron on bare surfaces as this can even set a fire. The final tip is to always keep your iron dry. If the water gets inside the flat iron, this might cause the malfunction.
1. Kathleen Doheny How Not to Wreck Your Hair, WebMD.
2. Tips for healthy hair, American Academy of Dermatology.
3. Phillip Picardi How To Straighten Hair: 11 Flat Iron Tips for Perfectly Straight Hair, teenVOGUE. November 8, 2017.
4. Hair straightening, Wikipedia.
5. Poorna Banerjee 5 Best Hair Straightening Tips When Using Flat Iron, STYLECRAZE. November 6, 2017.
6. Augusta Falletta 17 Useful Tricks For Anyone Who Uses A Hair Straightener, BuzzFeed. July 2, 2015.
7. Amanda Hawkins 6 Mistakes You Make With Your Flat Iron, GoodHousekeeping. November 5, 2014.