6 levels of suction power allow you to choose the most suitable one to handle various types of dirt on hard floors, carpets, and upholstery. The Vario clip holds all attachments on the vac's hose so you always have them close at hand.
Some users find bristles on the dusting brush too rigid.
The Miele Canister Vacuum Cleaner is created to serve you a lifetime. In addition to high power, usability options, and cleaning tools for different surfaces, this model features a long-term warranty to become your reliable helper for years.
Upholstery tool, Crevice tool, AllTeQ floorhead, Dusting brush
Telescopic tube, Flexible hose
~ 18 feet
6-setting suction control, Practical locking system, Handles with anti-static conductor, Thermal protection, Auto cord rewind, FilterBag™ change indicator, VarioClip for accessories
1 year (Parts and Labor)
7 years (Motor and body housings)
4 adjustable height settings help you choose the one to suit your body as well as remove dirt from hard-to-reach places. Impressive length of the power cord rids you of the necessity to change sockets often.
The power of cord rewind mechanism leaves something to be desired.
The Kenmore 81614 will become a great choice for pet owners and allergy sufferers. The combination of high-efficient HEPA filters and Pet PowerMate brush allow this vac to remove almost 100% of allergens from your home.
Crevice Tool, Pet PowerMate, Dusting Brush, Bare Floor Tool
3 HEPA filters
Telescopic tube, Flexible hose
~ 6.5 feet
2-motor system, Power Flow technology, 4 height adjustments, Cord rewind
A transparent window allows you to see when it's time to empty the dustbin so you do not need to open the housing to check the state of the vacuum. A 7-foot flexible hose contributes to the usability of the vac.
The wheels might not roll well over carpets.
When simple maintenance is as important to you as effective clean-up results, this bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner from Bissell will come to your liking. Requiring from zero to none maintenance, it delivers excellent performance and offers every convenience you'd expect from a bagless appliance.
Turbine hard floor tool, Multi-Surface floor nozzle, Crevice tool, Dusting brush & Upholstery tool w/Holster
Telescopic tube, Flexible hose
Multi-Cyclonic Technology, Auto cord rewind, EasyEmpty Dustbin
2 years limited
Thanks to the Self-Clean Technology, you no longer need to manually clean the brushroll from hair and wool. This process can be performed automatically, you only need to press a button.
The replaceable HEPA filters are quite pricey.
The UltraFlex from Electrolux is the type of vacuum cleaner that can bring vacuuming to a whole new level. Thanks to its unique EasySteer Swivel brush, it can access and clean in hard-to-reach spots with minimum effort.
Powerhead with Brushroll Clean Technology, 3-in-1 tool (dusting brush, crevice tool, and upholstery tool), Bare floor tool
HEPA filter, 2 foam filters
Telescopic wand, Flexible hose
Headlight, Height adjustment, Auto cord rewind
Controls on the vac's body and the handle make it possible for you to operate the device with the maximum convenience. On-board tool compartment saves you the trouble of looking for a separate place for their storage.
The vacuum is noisy during operation.
In addition to all features you expect a good vac to possess, this one from Kenmore boasts innovative Power Flow technology and 2-motor system to provide unbeatable cleaning results on any surface.
Crevice tool, Dust/Upholstery brush, Bare floor tool
3 HEPA filtres
Telescopic tube, Flexible hose
~ 6.5 feet
2-motor system, Power Flow technology, 2 motor speeds, Auto cord rewind, 4 height adjustments
Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction
Everything You Expect a High-Quality Vac to Possess
The Miele Canister Vacuum Cleaner is a great choice for those seeking performance, user-friendly design, and usability in one appliance. Miele has been producing vacuum cleaners for more than a century already and there’s no doubt their appliances boast great motor power, come with all tools necessary for effective clean-up, and are convenient to use. However, we’d like to focus on the features that distinguish this vac from many others. Here they are:
- The Compact C1 Pure Suction vacuum from Miele has a thermal protection option. Thanks to this very feature, the motor of the appliance is cooled automatically to prevent it from overheating and ensure its reliable service life. It's very likely that thermal protection is what makes all Miele vacuum cleaners so durable, and this particular is not an exception. With a 7-year warranty on motor and body housings, you can be sure it will last you a lifetime.
- In the kit, along with the vacuum cleaner, you'll find a standard set of attachments that includes a crevice tool, upholstery tool, and a dust brush. Furthermore, it has a special Vario clip which can be attached to the hose to keep all attachments in one place.
- Like all sophisticated appliances, the Miele Canister Vacuum Cleaner cleaner features convenient and user-friendly controls. There are 6 suction power levels that can be adjusted with a rotary dial and two large control buttons that turn the vac on and rewind the cord. In addition, it's possible to adjust the length of the bristles on the AllTeQ floorhead with a foot switch so you can quickly switch between cleaning modes depending on what type of surface you're cleaning.
Keep an Eye on Filters
Filters and filter bags are the core of proper vacuum operation and effective cleaning so it's very important to maintain them properly. Keep an eye on the FilterBag Change indicator; it will turn red when the bag inside the vac is full. Do not reuse filter bags as they are not intended for multiple uses. Even if you empty the bag, its pores will remain clogged and are likely to worsen the vacuum’s performance. Aside from filter bags, you should check out the filters. As for this model, both the motor protection filter and the exhaust filter should be replaced every time when you start to use a new pack of filter bags, however, in some other models exhaust filters may last longer than that. Replacing the bags and filters is easy and if you have any issues, you can refer to the user's guide that comes included in the box.
If you aren't ready to compromise when it comes to convenience of use, performance, ergonomics, and efficiency, then you should consider a vacuum cleaner like the Kenmore 81614. With a 12-Amp motor, this vacuum cleaner is able to handle just about any dirt with ease. However, powerful motor isn't the only thing that makes it so performing. To expand its functionality, the manufacturer provided the tool with a good bunch of accessories so that you could use it not only for vacuuming floors but also for cleaning carpets, hard-to-reach spots like under furniture, and removing pet hair. Thus, the package includes a crevice tool, Pet PowerMate brush, dusting brush, and a bare floor tool. What we like in particular is that all accessories can be kept on board of the vac so you can have quick access to them when you need.
Like we've mentioned earlier, the Kenmore model has some great usability features. It is equipped with a telescopic tube that can be set in one of four height positions to provide convenient use for an operator and adjusted in length to reach all tight spots. Also, it has a very long cord of 28 feet allowing you to move it freely around a big room using only one socket.
As for shortcomings, the Kenmore 81614 is a bit on a heavy side with the weight of 22.6 pounds. That said, we don't consider this a deal breaker given you won't need to carry it in your hands and will be able to simply wheel it from one room to another. It has a pair of sturdy, large wheels and a convenient carry handle for hassle-free transportation.
Bagged Canister Vacuum for Pet Owners
The Kenmore 81614 is an ideal choice for pet owners. Along with the standard set of attachments, it includes a special Pet PowerMate brush to pick up pet hair from furniture, carpets and other spots. It's very efficient and, if used on high settings, can handle even very stubborn hair. Another thing pet owners should appreciate about the Kenmore 81614 is that it uses HEPA filtration system which is renowned for its efficiency when it comes to cleaning the air from allergens and tiny dust particles and dander. For this reason, this vac is also perfect for those sensitive to allergens.
Lightweight and Effective
Are you looking for a lightweight Canister Vacuum Cleaner for frequent and effortless floor clean-ups? Then, this Bissell appliance might interest you. Made with the user in mind, this model is much more lightweight than the majority of similar appliances of the type. Its weight is only 9.3 pounds so even teenagers and the elderly can use it conveniently. Naturally, you might wonder if a vac this lightweight can be efficient. The answer is yes, it can be, and the Bissell Hard Floor Expert Multi-Cyclonic is a proof of this. With a motor power of 9.2 Amps, the vac can remove dirt and dust in mere seconds and - what's more important - from any type of surfaces despite the name of the vac. Included in the box are a turbine hard floor tool, multi-surface floor nozzle, crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool. In addition, the Bissell Hard Floor Expert Multi-Cyclonic vac has a flexible hose of 7 feet in length. Though this isn't the longest cable, it should still suffice for most average households.
Turning to convenience features, we'd like to mention an automatic cord rewind option, a carry candle, large wheels, and partially transparent design allowing the user to see when the dustbin is full and needs emptying. As we've mentioned the dustbin, it's well-thought-out too and does all messy job for you. All you need to do is open the bin from the bottom to clean it of collected dirt.
Easy as One, Two, Three
Bissell canister vacuum can be used right after unpacking, which distinguishes it from bagged types. You won't need to fiddle with filter bags, which is a big plus, and will be able to assemble it in less than 10 minutes.
1. Connect the flexible hose to the suction inlet. Check how firmly the hose is connected – it shouldn’t be flimsy.
2. Connect the extension wand to the hose tightly.
3. Connect the tool you need for cleaning.
Vacuum Effortlessly With Electrolux
The Electrolux EL4335B is truly the best bagless vacuum cleaner on the market. This sleek and attractive vacuum is baсked with lots of handy features that will make vacuuming a hassle-free process. It offers a 3-level height adjustment so that you can clean all floors, including hardwood, low to high pile carpets, hard floors, and plush carpets. The telescopic wand is also adjustable in height to suit users of any height. The vacuum has large wheels which glide smoothly on any surface and don't leave marks. Thanks to the large rear wheels and a low center of gravity, the EL4335B vac easily gets into the tightest corners and turns around furniture. And a 21-foot cord along with an 8-foot hose and telescopic wand ensures 33 feet of cleaning reach, which is quite enough even for vacuuming stairs. With all this, the Electrolux bagless canister vacuum is pretty light and compact. It weighs just 11.6 lbs and measures 13 x 11.5 x 20 inches. So, the vac is very easy to get around, go up/down stairs, and roll from room to room. And thanks to either horizontal or vertical parking options, you can store it in your closet neatly.
The vacuum features an adjustable suction power, which allows you to choose a suitable suction for cleaning both though and delicate areas. Yet, the vacuum is very quiet and produces only 70dB even at the highest settings. Needless to say, the lower suction diminishes the sound. The zest of this model is its Brushroll Clean Technology. This is a self-cleaning function which will help you remove tangles from the brushroll with just a touch of a button. The function can be easily turned on/off depending on the surface you vacuum.
The vac has a dustbin capacity of 44.8 oz, which allows you to vacuum up to 1500-2000 sq ft. The bin has a slim design and is pretty easy to empty. It has a convenient bottom opening that lets you empty the bin with the minimum amount of dust escaping into the air.
The Electrolux bagless canister vacuum features HEPA filter that can remove up to 99.97% of dust and allergens. Besides the HEPA filter, the vac is also fitted with two washable foam filters. The whole filtration system is completely sealed, ensuring that all sucked air will pass through it before exhausting back into the environment.
- The crevice tool will help you reach the hard-to-get places like in-between furniture;
- The dusting brush will remove the finest dust particles from delicate surfaces;
- The upholstery nozzle will be good for extracting pet hair from upholstery;
- The bare floor nozzle can suck up dirt, hair, debris, and dust from hardwood floors.
Genius Lies in Simplicity
At the first sight, this Kenmore canister vacuum might not surprise you with its specifications and features, but if you’re looking for a simple appliance with an affordable price tag, it's certainly worth your attention. It is fitted with a high-capacity 2-motor system boasting the power yield of 12 Amps and uses innovative Power Flow technology that gives it great suction power regardless no matter what surfaces you clean. Like other vacuum cleaners, the Kenmore 81214 has easy-to-use controls to rewind the cord and turn the appliance on/off with a single touch. Also, it has an additional on/off switch on the handle, which is handy if you don't like foot controls. Other features that add to the usability of this model include:
- A long 24-foot power cord which allows you to vacuum clean several rooms without the need to change sockets.
- 4 height adjustments that make it suitable for both shorter and taller customers.
- On-board storage of attachments that removes the need to seek out a special place for them.
The appliance is equipped with one of the best modern filter systems – HEPA – that catches the tiniest dust and allergen particles to provide you with clear air. So, if you or your family members suffer from allergy or you have a furry friend at home, opting for this model is a sensible decision. The best thing is, the Kenmore 81214 isn't expensive and costs less than most of its rivals while offering the same features and performance.
It often happens that we face minor problems while getting used to a new appliance. Let’s have a look at several things that might prevent you from using your new Kenmore canister vacuum effortlessly and learn how to handle them.
- The vac doesn’t start. Check if the appliance is connected to the socket. If it is, make sure the circuit breaker/fuse operates properly.
- Poor cleaning performance is usually connected with weak suction power. It might happen due to the full filter bag, clogged filter, or damaged hose. Check their state and clean/substitute them if it's necessary.
- Cord rewind option doesn’t work. It’s likely that the cord is jammed. To solve this issue, unwind the cord and try to use auto rewind option once more.
What Is a Canister Vacuum?
People spend a lot of time on cleaning. To tell the truth, the house dust cannot be entirely removed from our furniture or floors because it is transferred by air. It should be noted that dusted air has a negative impact on human health. Harmful allergens and germs can cause allergy, headache, and tiredness.
If you want to keep your dwelling clean, consider getting a Canister Vacuum Cleaner. This appliance is very maneuverable because its cleaning brush is connected to the dust canister with the help of a flexible hose. Thus, you can easily clean between and under the furniture. Featured with various nozzles, a Canister Vacuum Cleaner can perform a thorough cleanup of wooden and tiled surfaces, carpets, or louvers in your dwelling. Furthermore, if you have a furry friend, this device will easily remove pet dander and even harmful bacteria!
This review represents the best Canister Vacuum Cleaners for fast and effective cleanup. In addition, it will be very useful for you to consider the benefits of cordless models and carpet cleaners. These devices will surely make your chores easier and more comfortable.
What Features to Compare
You should decide on the type before purchasing a vacuum cleaner. Modern vacuums are designed for both dry and wet cleaning. In general, there are three main types of vacuum cleaners.
- Vacuums with the Cyclonic technology and plastic dust cups (also called bowls or canisters) are considered to be the best. Such appliances never lose their suction power. No filters and dust bags to replace - no extra expenses. For example, Dyson vacuums not only remove dust from various surfaces but also capture microscopic dust particles as small as 0.5 microns. They are perfect for allergy or asthma sufferers.
- Vacuum cleaners with dust bags are great for dry cleaning. They accumulate dust and dirt in reusable or disposable dust bags. For example, vacuums with disposable bags are considered to be more hygienic because they protect consumers from touching the dust while removing it. Furthermore, these devices are environmentally friendly because they don't need any chemicals for cleanups. Note, please, that the capacity of disposable dust bags is higher than that of reusable bags.
- Wet/dry suction cleaners perform a wider spectrum of functions than most dry vacuum cleaners do. For example, they can easily remove the stains of spilled coffee from any surfaces. Moreover, they are also appropriate for removing dirt and dust from carpets, soft furniture or laminate. Such devices can even remove pets' excrement from upholstery and neutralize unpleasant odors. It should be added that these vacuums can easily remove tough stains with a push of a button. All you need to do is apply a wet/dry suction cleaner on the stain or spot and choose a cleaning cycle. That's all!
The performance of a Canister Vacuum Cleaner cleaner primarily depends on a vacuuming speed and dust cup capacity. Air filtration is also very important. Suction power has a direct impact on the vacuuming speed. Consequently, the higher suction power the vacuum has, the more thorough and the faster cleanup it will perform. Note that you will have to clean a large dust cup less often than a small one.
Canister Vacuum Cleaner cleaners not only perform a cleanup of your apartment but also purify the air that you breathe. Thus, all models are fitted with filters. Every Canister Vacuum Cleaner model has a washable coarse-mesh filter that captures large particles of dust. It should also be mentioned that the HEPA filter is considered to be the most effective one since it captures up to 99.97% of dust, bacteria, and germs. Such air filtration will be appreciated by allergy sufferers. Moreover, the construction of a wet/dry suction cleaner includes a water reservoir and an aqua filter. Thus, this device performs not only an effective cleaning of your apartment but also humidifies the air. Superb!
Nozzles also have a significant impact on the performance of a vacuum cleaner. For example, a turbine head is designed to remove pet hair from your carpets or furniture. A crevice tool is appropriate for vacuuming soft furniture while a brush roller can easily remove dust from household appliances. An accessory kit often contains the variety of other nozzles that help customers remove dust even from the most hard-to-reach areas.
Customers should also know everything about the convenience of the chosen appliance. Some models of vacuum cleaners are equipped with adjustable handles, which allow customers to reach the most confined places. The cord length defines how far you can move the device from the socket. If the cord is too short, you should think of purchasing an extension cable. Furthermore, some vacuum cleaners are equipped with an automatic unwind system. It will be enough to push a special button to unwind a cord. All in all, such a technical solution will help adjust the cord length and prevent it from dangling.
Finally, a vacuum cleaner should be easily disassembled to allow the customer to replace the filter and wash the reservoir. If you choose the vacuum cleaner that satisfies all your demands, cleaning won't be a chore anymore.
1. Megan Wollerton Vacuum buying guide, CNET. October 22, 2013.
2. How to Choose a Canister Vacuum Cleaner, wikiHow.
3. Kelly Burgess How to Buy a Canister Vacuum, ConsumerSearch. May 16, 2016.
4. Amy Roberts The Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your Home, Good Housekeeping. June 13, 2014.
5. Vacuum Buying Guide, Consumer Reports. September 2016.
6. Kristen Hicks How to Buy A Vacuum Cleaner, Compact Appliance. September 11, 2015.
7. Vacuum Cleaner, Wikipedia. February 24, 2017.
8. Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide, Lowe's.