Best Misting Fans
What is a Misting Fan
Summer is the hottest season when the outdoor and indoor relative humidity decreases greatly, and you want nothing but to get a breath of fresh air. Indeed, there's nothing better than dipping into the cool refreshing water on a hot summer day and feel a pleasant fresh breeze after getting out of the water. But what if you are at work, at home or on a trip, eager to feel just a refreshing moist air. In this situation, investing in a high-quality misting fan is the best way out! Actually, a misting fan looks like a traditional pedestal fan but it features a built-in humidifier which produces a cool mist that disperses humidity throughout the room. The misting fan can be conveniently used in various settings. For instance, you can install it at home, on your patio, near your pool, in bars, restaurants, factories, warehouses, etc. Besides, such device is truly indispensable when you go out for "hot" adventures like parties, outdoor events, and any other environments which need to be cooled.
What Features to Compare
Type and Construction
A misting fan is a portable cooling device, which emits a directed flow of moist air by spraying or evaporating water. These fans are distinguished by the humidifier type and construction. Typically, humidifiers come in 2 types: ultrasonic and spray.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers operate in the following way: the membrane in a water tank constantly vibrates and splits water molecules into fine particles, forming a water dust cloud which passes to the fan through the channel and disperses. It should be noted that such humidifier type is characterized by high cost-effectiveness, both in terms of water and energy use.
- As for spray humidifiers, here the water is forced through specially designed misting nozzles by means of a high-pressure pump, creating a fog of ultra-fine water droplets with an average size of less than 10 microns. These tiny droplets instantly absorb heat from the environment and turn it into water vapor (gas). The energy used to convert water into gas cools the air. Such cooling technology produces a large volume of fine mist, thereby using large amounts of water. Spray humidifiers can be used for commercial and industrial purposes as well as for cooling outdoor areas like patios or gardens. You can even use some of these models during cold seasons if your space heater dries the air and burns up oxygen.
Regarding the construction, the manufacturers offer a huge selection of models: floor standing, table, compact, and personal.
- Floor standing fans are available with or without a water tank. Those without a water tank come with a line and sill cock for connection to a water source. When looking for the right fan, take into account where you intend to use it. For home and patios, it’s reasonable to select a unit with a built-in water tank. Indeed, these misting fans will please you with their extended functionality.
- But if there is no possibility to refill the tank, for example, in the garden, in the cafe or in the garage, then take a close look at the models that can be connected to a water pipe. Such fans can operate for a long time without user’s control.
- Yet if you want to enjoy fresh saturated air wherever you go, then pay attention to the compact portable models. They are very convenient as you just need to fill a tank with water and use this super unit anywhere you wish. Compact fans may differ in the form, construction, and supply sources. For instance, the market offers hand-operated or battery-operated water misting fans.
Similar to other household appliances, humidifier misting fans have key performance features. When using a fan indoors, you should pay attention to its air flow (usually measured in CFM) and the coverage area. If you need to cover a huge area, a fan should have large blades and a constant water supply or at least a pretty big water tank. However, for a small room or a summer garden, a unit with a built-in water tank and a small diffuser will be quite enough. It's also important to know how much water and electricity a fan uses.
Some models have automatic vertical louvers for an even air distribution or a 360° oscillation for wide area coverage. The user-friendly electronic controls allow you to make fine settings, selecting the most appropriate operation mode. Besides, you can easily control your fan from across the room with a handy remote control. One more important feature to pay attention to is a noise-free operation. All in all, take into account all the peculiarities that may affect your choice.