Product Comparison: iRobot Roomba 650 vs iRobot Roomba 980
- I ordered this Roomba for the geek factor (who doesn't want a robot vacuum?) but also the fact that it will vacuum more regularly than I do now. I was amazed after the first few days of having it. My home smelled clean.
- The portable barrier keeps it from going down the wide, single step into our music room. I just place it down there and let it do its thing, then put it back up to do the rest of the house. I'm going to buy another one to keep the Roomba away from the pets' water bowl.
- Has no problem moving from carpeted to non-carpeted areas (about half an inch) and vice versa, and unto rugs, bath rugs etc.
- With a dog and this running daily, I clean the bin and the filter every day. It takes at most 2 minutes to do and this will ensure you have roomba running at top performance.
- It's quiet on carpet but moderately noisy on wooden/hard flooring. No biggy, it's vacuuming my house for me, I can deal.
- Surprisingly good run time for both battery and dust bin.
- Does a pretty good job on carpet. Running twice a week keeps the carpet clean. I'd suspect it wouldn't be as clean considering our pets if we ran it less often. Running a regular vacuum on the carpet doesn't pick up much after the bot runs.
- It did go back to the base when battery went low in a middle of a second test run (it didn't get much charging time after I got it out of the box).
- Overall decent navigation that never once got stuck and always made it back to the charging base.
- Pretty good suction power. Good run times of around an hour and half with carpet boost on auto.
- Only runs about 90min for us (with ½ high, thick carpet and ½ tile flooring).
- Need to pick up chairs if the spacing between legs is too narrow to let the robot squeeze in.
- No option to change the speed of the vacuum. How hard could it be to add 3 speed options? Slow, medium, fast.
- When it's done cleaning a room or low on battery, it returns to its charging station all on its own.
- I was excited to know this model is supported by "Thinking Cleaner", a replacement faceplate for Roomba that allows you to control it from your phone over the internet or allow roomba to tie into your existing home automation system, like Vera or SmartThings.
- May not have all the bells and whistles of he latest app driven models, but really...is that worth $600 extra dollars? This guy cleans without having to babysit. Just what I was hoping for!
- I can't wait for some of the 980's features to become standard. I like the floor mapping and the wifi connection features.
- Does not immediately return to charging station upon pressing the "dock" button, but wanders off and then eventually returns 10 minutes later
- The mobile app works very well and provides messages when needed on progress of cleaning and trouble alerts.
- A virtual map is provided in the mobile app showing the floor space cleaned, which is kind of cool and helps to see where it is cleaning or having difficulty getting around.
- Intuitive and useful app with quite a few useful features.
- Having the roomba be controlled by the app and Alexa is amazing. This model is incredibly smart and it does an amazing job compared to the Dyson we have. I
- The app was the most annoying part of setting Roomba up; it did not like my Wi-Fi at first. You can use the robot without it, but I do not see a way of manually program the robot.
- You can set it to vacuum while you're out of the house and come home to a clean floor.
- The timer function works well (it starts when it's supposed to)
- You can also gently nudge it's front bumper and it will redirect. 3. Pick up all the large stuff (leaves, paper scraps, twist ties) , just like you would a regular vacuum, because it won't pick it up.
- Make sure you replace the removable dust bin firmly (you'll hear a small click), otherwise it might fall off the first time the Roomba goes over a heating vent.
- Difficult to clean the brush, especially when long-haired persons live in the house. Also, emptying the dust compartment and cleaning the filter frees quite a lot of dust into the air, which I should not have.
- Very verbose error reporting if it's stuck, has a full dust bin, but you have to open the app or be in the same room as the bot to know this.
- Does a very good job on the hardware and with the corning cleaning turned on, does a pretty decent job along the edges of walls.
- Cleans in spots you don't normally get to, such as under the bed and in the wee spots of closets.
- Love the scheduling feature and how easy it is to change from week to week depending on our always shifting schedules.
- It performs a logical cleaning pattern (not random) that covers all of the floor, cleaning sections of each room and then moving on to the next section. It acts quite "intelligent," sometimes stopping to look around and "think" before proceeding.
- It looks like all carpet with dark colors trick it into thinking it's jumping off a cliff. We ended up replacing some rugs to get around this.One of our rugs had a thick black line in the trim and roomba wouldn't cross it for anything.
- No brush option that actually picks up dog hair from carpets.