Best Hunting Knives
What is a Hunting Knife
If you are a hunting enthusiast, a hunting knife will become your indispensable attribute and reliable companion. Compared to daggers, a hunting knife is rarer used for killing animals. What it's used for is prey skinning and dressing. A hunting knife also comes in useful during hiking or backpacking, offering multifunctionality required to fulfill all sorts of tasks such as pitching a camp, arranging a night shelter, cooking and other needs.
Check our knife sets review to get high-quality shaving-sharp knives allowing you to realize most challenging culinary tasks while solar cookers will be extremely handy for cooking meals during camping without making up the fire.
What Features to Compare
The first thing to pay attention to when choosing a solid hunting knife is its Design. Modern manufacturers offer a variety of fixed-blade and folded knives. Fixed-blade models have an obvious advantage of durability and functionality since they have no additional elements, unlike folded knives. It is a kind of a classic knife largely used by our predecessors many centuries ago. As for a folding knife, it offers a benefit of a compact size requiring considerably less space for handling and transportation. Besides, folding knives are much safer since all cutting components are folded inside to protect users from accidental cuts and injuries.
The next aspect most modern knife models are distinguished by is a Blade Type offering different advantages. A drop point is one of the most popular blade types where the upper part of the blade (spine) slopes to the tip along the convex curve. This blade is ideal for big hunting and dressing the kill. A clip point is a blade type with a spine tapered along a concave curve. This type of a blade is less convenient for animal skinning or dressing but perfect for opening tins and cans, pointing pickets for a tent and many other occasional cutting tasks. A spear point is a symmetric blade with the pointer strictly aligning the center of the blade for deep stabs. A dagger has sharp blade edges on both sides for efficient punctures. And finally, a Tanto blade is another widely spread type where the front blade edge meets the back edge at an angle. As a result, a Tanto knife has two points. As for a Blade edge, most knives are usually straight-edged for efficient smooth cutting. However, you can find hunting knives with a serrated edge performing like a saw for cutting solid materials.
The Materials from which the chosen knife is made of determine its service life and durability. The blade should be made of first-class stainless steel to remain maximum sharp without growing blunt too quickly. The steel grade specified by manufacturers characterizes the steel content. Thus, 420 and modified 420j2 steel grades prove to be the best on the market having positive feedback. At the same time, the longer the blade is the bigger cutting area it will run through and the more efficient it will be for dressing a big animal. Speaking of a handle, the major criterion here is a convenient and secure grip even in a wet hand to avoid injuries.
Extra features and accessories will directly affect Usability of your hunting knife. A sheath will allow for a safe knife storage and transportation. Thanks to a belt clip option, your knife will be always at hand. For the folders quick and easy blade opening and folding is very important. Hence, a groove on the blade along with a special pull mechanism will be extremely useful for opening the blade. A lock-back mechanism will hold the blade in a working position preventing occasional blade folding and ensuring a safe use. A comfortable grip and handling greatly depend on an overall hunting knife Length that basically ranges from 8 to 11 inches. In terms of Weight, it is worth mentioning that a knife should have an optimal weight for smooth, effortless cutting and convenient use. The ideal knife weight is 6 to 12 ounces.
Buck Knives 0119
Buck Knives 0119
Standard by Which Others are Measured
With a century experience behind, Buck Knives knows exactly how to make a high-quality knife. 119 Special knife is a product the company is extremely proud of. It was designed and manufactured to become a standard for the competitors to align to. And it is truly so! This superior fixed-blade knife from a legendary American manufacturer will astonish you with its reliability and durability. The blade is made of 420 HC steel to stay razor-sharp and ensure high performance for years. Though competent experts constantly argue what steel grade is better and cannot reach a common ground, it is precisely known that owing to a unique steel hardening method, you will be impressed with cutting characteristics of this knife. The blade will never break or fail in an extreme situation as it features a Rc58 hardness on the Rockwell scale. Hence, the blade boasts an excellent strength for high wear resistance. Besides, a clip point blade design will allow cutting in the narrows, thanks to a concave spine. For an ultimate balance, a black phenolic handle with an aluminum pommel will ensure a superior cutting control. Keeping user safety and security in mind, manufacturer fitted the knife with a genuine leather sheath for storage and transportation. This comprehensive model of a 10.5-inch hunting knife offers you an absolute quality and state-of-the-art design proven by time!
A Sharp Knife is a Safe Knife
A sharp blade on your best-ever Buck knife is essential in terms of safety. Cutting with a blunt knife, you'll have to put more effort and always avoid cuts. That is why any knife should be regularly sharpened. Below you will find several useful recommendations on knife sharpening from Buck Knives:
- Never use a power-driven grinding wheel if it is not meant for sharpening since it can destroy steel tempering, make the blade fragile and prone to cracks or even shears. In case of inappropriate sharpening, the manufacturer disclaims responsibility under a forever warranty.
- Al Buck (1910-1991) used to say the following about knives sharpening: "Always cut into the stone, never drag your knife edge back over the stone and always maintain your angle." Meanwhile, he shared an interesting method how to sharpen knives in a proper way. Take a black felt pen and color the blade bevel. Then make several strokes on a sharpener and look at the blade edges. If there are no color traces you did everything properly. When a top part remains colored, it means that a sharpening angle is too big while black color on the bottom edge indicates that your blade is laying too flat on the sharpener. Perform this procedure several times until you get the desired sharpening result and simply remember the optimal sharpening angle.
You can get some more tips and download a knife sharpening instruction on the company's web site.
More Products to Consider
Whether you go hiking or hunting you should take care of all essential accessories to make up the fire. An Estwing E24A Sportsman's Axe will be useful to chop wood. With an overall length of 14 inches, this axe is perfect for transportation and convenient to use while a nylon sheath will allow you to put it into the backpack with other tools. For maximum durability, it is made of all forged stainless steel and manually sharpened.
Gerber Bear Grylls
Gerber Bear Grylls
Knife as a Survival Tool
This unrivaled Gerber knife is a pinnacle of a fruitful and efficient collaboration with a world-known ultimate survivor Bear Grylls. No doubt, you will make sure that this is an incredible top-rated ultimate survival knife. Let’s have a look why so many outdoorsmen give preference to this very model and what makes it suitable for the hardest extremes. First, this knife boasts a specific half-serrated 4.8-inch blade. A half-serrated blade ensures cutting through a wide range of materials including rope, wood, wire and even solid materials like sheet metal. An ergonomic rubberized handle offers not only a highly convenient grip but also a variety of uses. Thanks to lashing holes, the handle allows applying the knife to other items. Thus, experienced survival experts demonstrated how to make a spear using the Gerber knife, wood stock, and a shoestring. In a matter of minutes, you can make an efficient and secure tool for personal defense and hunting. The knife set also includes a multifunctional shear with rescue signals for the rescuers to find you quickly and easily in case you got lost in the wild. Besides, this knife features a built-in sharpener, emergency whistle, and a survival guide with useful and valuable recommendations from Bear Grylls. On top of that, with the knife, you will get a built-in fire starter to make a fire under any weather conditions. The Ultimate Survival knife was meticulously designed by Gerber and Bear Grylls for you to fill safe and secure anywhere away from civilization!
Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls
Edward Michael "Bear" Grylls (born on June 7, 1974) is a world-known British adventurer, TV presenter and author of several bestsellers. After finishing school he served in the British Army and within the period from 1994 till 1997 he was a special forces officer and acquired the major skill of surviving in the wild. At 23, he became the youngest British man who climbed the Everest peak and his climb entered the Guinness Book of World Records. He is also famous for TV series Man vs Wild that counts over 60 programs today. The series includes a number of episodes where Bear is sent to different distant desolate regions and he has to get back to civilization carrying only a flask, knife, and a fire starter. Man vs Wild is very informative and give a handful of tips on how to survive in the wild. Bear Grylls will show you how to avoid starvation or how to make a safe overnight shelter that will protect you from wild animals, etc. For example, do you know that one can catch a hare or any other game by means of shoestrings? Meanwhile, Bear is engaged in charity and used to raise funds for disabled people giving them an opportunity to participate in different expeditions.
You can follow Bear Grylls activities on his Twitter profile with over 1.3 million followers.
More Products to Consider
No doubt, lost-proofing is essential in an unfamiliar territory. In this concern, you will surely appreciate a Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Compass that will perfectly fit your Gerber Bear Grylls knife design. A durable plastic body will ensure failure-free performance while compact compass dimensions will allow you to take it anywhere. You can use this compass as a key fob or a convenient zipper pull.
The Hottest Knife in the Industry
A folding hunting knife Buck 110 is a true American legacy from a top American manufacturer. Though today for the production of this model Buck Knives uses a newer steel and upgraded materials, an old-school design of the knife has remained unchanged since 1963. It is a perfect classic model for those who want to have a decent lock-back knife with all the features and characteristics of a fixed-blade knife but compact enough to fit your pocket. The length of a folded knife is only 4.9 inches and a 3.75-inch blade is made of high-class 420HC stainless steel. It is safely accommodated protecting you from cuts and injuries. But as soon as you need your Buck 110, you can open it in a matter of seconds by means of special nail nicks. A lock-back mechanism of this model is unique as well. The manufacturer tailored it to perfection to prevent the blade loosening while using the knife. This is what makes this model a real leader and best seller on the folding knives market. A knife handle is not only durable and ergonomically shaped but also stylish and attractive. Made of Dymondwood, it is elegantly decorated by brass bolsters. Hence, the knives collectors and outdoorsmen are craving for having this gorgeous knife in their arsenal. In addition, you will get a genuine leather sheath with a snap closure that can be fastened to you belt for having you hunting knife always at hand. Renowned for its durability and elegant, simple design, Buck 110 is a multifunctional cutting tool that will help you no matter what. Once you hold it, you want it!
Interesting Facts About Buck Knives
- It often happens that owners of Buck knives, they inherited from their fathers or grandfathers, can’t even imagine how old their knives are and what historical value they represent. You can check the age of your knife by a special symbol stamped on the blade. Refer to a special chart to find out which year your knife was made.
- From the very first day Buck Knives was a family company and it remains a family business to this day. CJ Buck, a son of Chuck Buck and a grandson of Al Buck, is a company President and CEO. He represents the 4th generation and has been running the company since 1978. He is still focused on family values and keeps producing state-of-the-art knives following the traditions and standards laid down by his great grandfather Hoyt Buck. Since their name appears on the knives, CJ Buck considers that production of premium-quality products with close attention to every tiny detail is their personal responsibility.
- Anyone can visit a plant and see how Buck knives are made. Buck invites you to free 45-minute plant tours from Monday to Thursday at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. For safety reasons, you must wear fully closed shoes while visiting the plant. As for the children, only seven-years-old and up kids are allowed. To book a tour call 800-326-2825 x172. Buck factory is located at 660 S. Lochsa St. in Post Falls, Idaho. For your ultimate convenience, a visitor parking is available.
More Products to Consider
In addition to the knife, we also recommend a Leatherman - Wingman Multi-Tool. It features 14 tools that will be of great use at the campsite or anywhere away from civilization. A spring-action needlenose pliers, spring action regular pliers, wire stripper, 420HC combo knife, spring-action scissors, package opener, ruler, can opener and other items are ergonomically accommodated in a pocket-size steel tool that weighs only 7 ounces. Though compact, it offers the whole range of uses.
Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite
Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite
A Replaceable Blade for the Best-ever Performance
Do you often use knives but have no skills to sharpen them? Or do you find this process too boring? Then this model from Razor-Lite is definitely for you! It offers the benefit of replacing the blunt cutter with a razor-sharp blade in a matter of seconds and keep cutting with almost no effort. This great option is especially useful while dressing a big animal that is usually a time-consuming and tiresome procedure. A knife set comes with 6 replaceable blades and a rather simple yet reliable push button blade replacement system. When all 6 blades go blunt you can sharpen them all at once by yourself or address the professional. The blade is 3.5 inches long and is made of first-class Japanese 420j2 steel well-known and widely spread owing to its remarkable sharpness and durability. A rubberized TPR handle will ensure a convenient and secure grip for a safe use even if you take it with wet or dirty hands that often happens in the wild. Besides, a bright orange colored handle allows for easy spotting the knife on the ground when you lose the sight of it. Additionally, a nylon camouflage Mossy Oak™ sheath will perfectly match almost any hunting outfit. This immaculate Razor-Lite folding knife offers you an unparalleled strength of a solid regular knife and a precise sharpness of a surgeon’s scalpel! You’ll never regret your choice!
Safe Hunting Tips
1. When you go hunting you should stick to certain rules not only for personal safety reasons but also to come back with a prey. One of the truly useful tools that should be in the arsenal of a real hunter is a tree stand that will ensure a clear elevated view of a surrounding terrain. Moreover, a game will not detect you by the scent easily picked up when you stay on the ground. A Guide Gear Deluxe Hunting Hang-On Tree Stand is a decent and affordable option to check.
2. Never go hunting alone. Take at least one partner to watch out for one another and provide aid in an extreme situation or whenever needed. If you still prefer hunting alone, tell somebody where and when you’ll be hunting. And finally, establish an approximate time you are going to come back.
3. Always wear a bright orange hunter jacket that will allow other hunters to identify you since you may not be the only hunter out there. For additional safety, put on a hat of the same color.
More Products to Consider
If you plan to go hunting and come back with a prey, take all the necessary tools for a hassle-free dressing. A Gerber Vital Pack Saw with a stainless steel serrated edge will efficiently and effortlessly saw the animal bones. A secure rubberized handle ensures an ideal grip while a sheath is very convenient for handling and transportation.
Sportsman Industries Premium Titanium
Sportsman Industries Premium Titanium
A Reliable Steel Assistant
Speaking of a Sportsmen hunting knife the first thing to look into is a material the knife is made from. Actually, the material is what really gives prominence to this knife among other similar models. As befits a solid knife, a 3.7-inch blade is made of premium stainless steel with titanium coating for better performance and robustness. But a real benefit of this knife is a steel handle making it clear that this knife will never fail to ensure a trouble-free efficient cutting. Owing to overall stainless steel design, the knife has a weight of 10.6 ounces ideal for a comfortable use with a precise control over every move of your hand. Meanwhile, a quick-open mechanism provides for a quick blade release. A drop point blade makes this knife a universal model and a perfect solution for small and medium size game hunting. Though a sheath is not included, there is a pocket clip for secure knife fastening to your pocket or backpack. Besides, the clip is easily detached when you don’t need it. Finally, it is worth saying that Sportsmen folding knife comes in an attractive gift box making it a good idea of a present for a hunting enthusiast or outdoorsman. Be sure, this knife is a trustworthy steel assistant you can always rely on in the extreme or emergency situations.
Types of Knives
- Bowie knife is named after Jim Bowie, a legendary man from Texas. Being wounded during a duel at the beginning of the 19th century, he killed several attackers with a carving knife. A Bowie knife belongs to fighting knives without any specific standards in terms of blade shape and length.
- Diver's knife is widely used by divers and adapted for the use in deep-water diving, water sports, and underwater hunting. It is usually an integral part of a diver outfit.
- Machete is a large knife used for cutting through a jungle vegetation or efficient sugar cane cutting. The blade length ranges from 12.8 to 17.7 inches.
- Butterfly knife is a folding knife opened by means of two counter-rotating handles. It is also known as Balisong or Philippine knife since it was widely used by Philippines inhabitants as weapons or a multifunctional cutting tool.
More Products to Consider
When you go hunting for several days, take care of a safe and comfortable overnight shelter. A Lamoo Single Camping Hammock is the best way to enjoy a nice outdoor sleep. Made from high-quality parachute materials, this hook comes with two strong ropes and durable carabiners ensuring a 400 lbs capacity. It offers a compact design for easy transportation and boasts an extremely simple setup.
1. 10 Safety Tips for All Hunters, Ducks Unlimited.
2. Robert Richardson Hunting Safety: Tips for being a Safe Hunter, Off Grid Survival.
3. Chris Black How to Choose the Best Knife for Hunting, Survivopedia. January 29, 2014.
4. Timothy Martinez Jr. The Complete Hunting Knife Buying Guide, Knife Depot.
5. Sarah Siddons How Knife Hunting Works, HowStuffWorks.
6. Knife, Wikipedia. October 6, 2016.
7. The Best Hunting Knife -- How to Recognize Good Quality, HowStuffWorks.
8. Steven Musumeche Fixed Blade vs. Folding Blade Knives, Knife Depot.
9. Anthony Sculimbrene Blade Boot Camp: A Buyer’s Guide To Choosing Your Knife, GEAR JUNKIE. May 5, 2015.