What is a Countertop Dishwasher
Dishwashing is an everyday activity we cannot avoid because we eat every day and after a family lunch or dinner we always have a load of plates, cups, and utensils to wash. Manual washing is a labor-intensive, time-taking and rather boring process. Moreover, detergent might cause irritation of sensitive hands skin. In view of this, an ingenious kitchen appliance was invented to facilitate our life and better organize kitchen activities. Right, it's a dishwasher. You only need to load the dirty dishes, press several buttons and let the dishwasher do its magic. In a little while, you will get sparkling clean and nice-to-the-touch plates and cups. With a dishwasher, you will not only save your budget owing to water consumption reduction but also have more spare time that you’ve spent on hand dish washing and drying.
Those consumers who love cooking will surely appreciate having a decent cookware set to serve up the food in a beautiful, exquisite manner. Consider getting one of the Chef knives too, to add to your collection of the cooking essentials.
What Features to Compare
There are two main types of dishwashers. These are freestanding and built-in units. Freestanding models are absolutely independent appliances that can be placed either on the floor or on a countertop depending on their size. Meantime, built-in dishwashers are usually a part of the furniture that can be conveniently hidden behind the kitchen cabinet door. In our review, we will look at easy-to-install and easy-to-connect countertop models featuring compact Dimensions. They will perfectly fit even the smallest kitchens.
Capacity is one of the key factors to consider as a good dishwasher should accommodate all the dirty dishes remained after a full-scale meal. The model with 6-8 place settings capacity is enough for a family of 3-4 persons. The number of Wash Cycles or Programs is another essential feature affecting your choice. As a rule, cookware will require more thorough and intensive washing in a piping hot water while glassware needs a delicate washing at a rather low temperature to avoid damages. The wash cycle you choose determines how quickly your dishwasher will cope with a load of dirty dishes. And a Noise Level indicates how comfortable you will feel near the operating dishwasher. Besides, this option is very useful and important when you have a studio apartment. The noise level of most modern model falls within the range of 37 to 65dB.
The next thing you should pay attention to is Power and Water Consumption. Today all manufacturers care about an ecological performance of their products and strive to reduce natural resources consumption to the maximum. Thus, some models boast incredibly low 3-gallon per cycle water consumption and 1 kilowatt-hour per cycle power consumption. No doubt, it will allow you to save on your water and electricity bills. In our review, we specify annual power consumption provided that on average you will use your dishwasher 4 times per week.
Currently, all the manufacturers work on making their products highly Functional and Usable. Hence, they try to implement the later sophisticated technologies in their kitchen appliances. An LCD screen in a dishwasher will let you see how much time remains until the end of the wash cycle while a delayed start option allows you to wash the dishes whenever you want, for example, when all the family members are out of the home. Basically, the space inside a dishwasher is divided into several compartments to efficiently accommodate the maximum number of place settings. Long inlet and outlet hoses ensure a hassle-free connection saving your time and efforts. A faucet adapter allows for quick and easy dishwasher connection to a water pipeline. Choose a model that will fit your everyday needs and you won’t have to spend time on hand wash while your dishware will shine and smell good stimulating the appetite.
EdgeStar 6 Place Settings
Designed to Save Your Money
An Energy Star rated EdgeStar portable dishwasher features low power and water consumption. And you will be pleasantly surprised by your water and electricity bills. Just imagine, a normal wash cycle including three preliminary soaking stages, washing, double rinsing and drying will take only 3.5 gallons of water and about 0.34 kWh. And your dishwasher will cope with this thorough and complicated process within 85 minutes. You can’t but agree that you’d not be able to use such small amount of water for hand washing no matter how hard you’d try. So, if you decide to choose EdgeStar dishwasher you will not only save your family budget but also be able to save one of the most valuable resources on the Earth – the water.
Speaking about this versatile and highly efficient dishwasher, it is certainly worth mentioning a number of useful functions it offers for your maximum comfort and convenient operation. If you have small kids you surely know that they are simply raving about pressing and pushing all the buttons and controls on electronic devices. To settle this issue, EdgeStar implemented a smart child lock option. Thanks to a delay start button, you can set washing at the optimal time when you are at work or just away from home. If you use special 3-in-1 tablets containing detergent, rinse, and special salt for scale-producing water you can activate 3-in-1 function for entire tablet dissolution and better washing results. Additionally, there is an LCD display on the front panel to indicate the remaining washing time, operation mode, activated functions and some other data that might be useful. Being the owner of this ingenious dishwasher, you will only need to load all dirty dishware and press some controls. Your dishwasher will do the rest easily, quickly, and efficiently.
In 1850, in USA Joel Houghton invented and patented a mechanical device to wash dishes. Unfortunately, it did not gain much popularity due to slow and inefficient operation. In 1865, L.A.Alexander made the second attempt in this field but his machine did not justify the undertaken efforts. In this concern, Josephine Cochrane is considered the inventor of the first dishwasher. This hand powered dishwasher perfectly coped with washing tasks and was exhibited in Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Eventually, the dishwasher design was improved and in 1924, William Howard Livens from England invented a small dishwasher suitable for domestic use. The drying mode was added only in 1940. An interesting fact is that for a long time (up to 1970s) ordinary customers could not afford dishwashers because of their rather high price. Dishwashers were solely attributes of rich houses. Of course, today dishwashers are affordable kitchen appliances that can be found almost in any domestic kitchen. According to research results by 2012, every 3 of 4 families in the USA and Germany used dishwashers saving their time and efforts on a hand wash.
More Products to Consider
If you have a confined kitchen and find it tricky to accommodate there all essentials including the cookware, we strongly recommend buying Linon Kitchen Island. An elegant granite top can be used as a countertop. Besides, this mobile cart comes with a 4-bottle wine storage rack and an additional fixed wooden shelf.
Magic Chef 6 Place Settings
Compact and Unbelievably Capacious
Similar to many other countertop dishwashers, this model from Magic Chef features compact dimensions (17.2”H x 21.7”W x 20.4”D) and a rather light weight (49.5 pounds). It will allow you to place the unit on the countertop even under the overhead cabinetry. Many people think that a compact dishwasher cannot hold many dishes but Magic Chef will destroy this myth. MCSCD6W3 is designed to accommodate 6 full place settings. Besides, you will be able to find there some additional space for a skillet. Such high capacity in a compact body was achieved owing to an ergonomic division of inner space into several compartments and a special basket for knives and utensils. Moreover, in the operation manual, you will find a section demonstrating in pictures how to place different dishware types together. Depending on the number of plates and their dirtiness you can choose one of the 6 available washing programs distinguished by the number of rinse and dry cycles as well as their combination. An Advanced drying technology will dry clean dishes quickly and efficiently without spots and stains. As for the controls, this model has simple comprehensive controls and is operated by means of a single cycle selector and two buttons. The light indicator on the right will let you know if you forget to add a rinse in a special compartment or connect the water supply to the unit. Well, we can confidently say that this compact sleek model will show great performance and wash all the dirty dishes at home ensuring unbeaten cleanness and lovely smell.
Did you Know?
- Under a manual wash, water consumption is about 27 gallons that 6 times exceeds water consumption in a dishwasher.
- Josephine Cochrane (an inventor of the first hand-powered dishwasher) started thinking about creating such an appliance only because her servants often damaged her fine china when they washed it by hands.
- 42% of people loaded their dishwashers twice as they thought they had not made it good enough for the first time. And indeed, for efficient use of internal space you will need certain skills. It is almost like playing Tetris.
- A hand wash in a common family usually takes up to 30 minutes daily that is about 15 hours monthly and a bit less than 8 days annually. Make much of your time! There are so many interesting things and exciting activities in our life to do and try that wasting this time on bending over a kitchen sink just cannot be justified.
More Products to Consider
Are you tired of the mess and lack of space in your kitchen? A Professional Kitchen Cart Cutting Table will help you efficiently organize every single inch of your small kitchen. It will provide an additional 20" x 24" countertop while a stainless steel shelf and basket are perfect for heavy kitchen appliances. And for your ultimate convenience, the basket height is adjustable.
Sunpentown Countertop Dishwasher, Silver
Convenience in Everything
SPT Countertop Dishwasher will really amaze you with ultimate convenience in everything, including connection, operation, dishes loading and unloading. Let’s consider the benefits of this washer a bit closer:
- Connection. The unit comes with two 5-feet hoses for fresh water supply and dirty water draining that will ensure hassle-free installation even if the kitchen sink is at a certain distance from the dishwasher. A quick connector and faucet adapter included in the package ensure easy connection to any kitchen faucet and eliminate the need for direct plumbing or permanent installation. (More details on installation are given in the instruction manual).
- Controls. You will find only three buttons on the front panel - power, program, and start/stop button for comprehensive controls. You only need to turn on the unit, select one of the 6 available programs, press the start button and let the dishwasher do its magic.
- Loading and unloading. This compact countertop model is well-designed for the efficient inner space use. It will hold up to 6 place settings in a plate rack, cup rack, and cutlery basket. In a matter of minutes, you will easily load and unload your dishwasher. This process has never been so quick and simple.
SPT countertop dishwasher is an ideal solution for apartments, office kitchens or any small-sized kitchens. With this small but functional model, you can forget about time-consuming and boring manual wash and enjoy watching TV or simply chatting with your family members after a lunch or dinner.
One More Pleasant Benefit
Along with great performance and space-saving dimensions, this portable dishwasher has some more pleasant benefits. It comes fitted with a small basket for 3 in 1 detergent tablets for convenient and handy storage. А cutlery basket and a cup rack ensure compact and efficient glassware and utensils positioning in the dishwasher. Moreover, these elements are detachable that is of use when you need to wash more plates or accommodate pans and skillets.
More Products to Consider
Often it is very difficult to precisely calculate the amount of detergent and rinse for efficient dishwashing. Super Charged Automatic Dishwasher Detergent is tabletized containing both detergent and rinse. You do not have to use measuring cups anymore. Just put a single tablet to your dishwasher. The package of 90 tablets is enough for about 6 months (if you use your dishwasher 3 times per week).
Danby 6 Place Settings
Danby was established as a family company 65 years ago and it still remains a family business. The company slogan is simple: We create brilliant and inspired appliances for your life's every move. Danby is focused on the development of innovative products to offer functional versatility and space-saving solutions for your houses and apartments. If you have a tiny kitchen, you will certainly appreciate such a smart appliance as a compact refrigerator or a stylish countertop wine cooler. Get impressed with space-wise products at an affordable price!
It is interesting that the company has its own blog where you can find informative articles on kitchen-related topics and a lot more interesting facts and postings.
6 Programs for any Occasion
Many washer users state that despite a variety of different programs, usually, they use only 1 or 2 washing programs. But in the case of a dishwasher, an inappropriately set program might affect the look of delicate dishes and glassware. Danby dishwasher features 6 wash cycles (heavy, normal, light, glass, speed, and soak) differing by water temperature, number and order of rinse and dry cycles.
- Heavy wash cycle will perfectly cope with a heavily oil stained dishware and is ideal for cookware. A wash cycle time is 100 minutes. Water consumption is 3.84 gallons.
- Normal wash is optimal for everyday use to wash plates, cups or even lightly soiled pans without old oil stains. A wash cycle time is 85 minutes. Water consumption is 3.17 gallons.
- Light and Glass programs are a bit similar. The water is not heated like in the previous programs and a wash cycle time is 75 and 70 minutes respectively. These programs are good for efficient wash of lightly soiled glassware to get sparkling clean dishes without spots and stains.
- Speed is a wash cycle without drying. It will take only 45 minutes reducing water and power consumption to the maximum.
- Soak program is used for soaking and rinsing the dishware you plan to wash a bit later.
All above mentioned wash cycles or programs are available in the majority of countertop dishwashers. Just choose the proper program and your dishwasher will save your money on water and electricity. A nice bonus to your family budget!
More Products to Consider
A high-quality rinse is a must to get perfectly clean dishware. Cascade Rinse Aid will ensure sparkling cleanness and nice smell for all your plates, cups, and utensils. A 16-oz vial is enough for numerous wash cycles. A perfect match for Cascade Platinum detergent.
Koldfront 6 Place Settings
A Stylish Kitchen Assistant
The first thing that will catch your eye is a sleek minimalistic design in black color. The body in black is unstainable and will not require any extra care. Two control buttons and a program selector on the front panel ensure intuitive control and quick selection between 6 wash programs. As for the unit capacity, it will efficiently wash all the soiled dishware remained after a meal for 3-4 persons and you can even load a pan and skillet you were cooking in. In a normal wash cycle, Koldfront dishwasher features minimal 0.361 kWh power consumption. It was calculated that under the use of 4 times per week the dishwasher will consume about 220 kWh per year. This model is fitted with a detergent compartment (both for powder and tablets) and rinse compartment. A rinse aid indicator will always remind when you need to add some rinse. So, you don’t have to keep such trifles in mind. In a leasehold apartment kitchen, in your own small kitchen or in the RV the Koldfront dishwasher will become an unmatched assistant that will save your time for family, children and for yourself.
Nothing will Disturb Your Sleep
A real benefit of this stylish yet functional dishwasher is a rather silent operation as compared to other models. The level of noise it produces is only 55dB that is equal to a silent human speech from a 5-feet distance. For comparison, the leaves murmur is about 15dB while the noise level of intensive traffic is about 80 dB. Hence, if your dishwasher is working and you are sleeping in the adjacent room it will not disturb your sound sleep. This way you can totally relax and give your dishwasher the work to do.
Some Tips for Consistent Washing Results
1. Don’t hurry to unload the dishes. After a washing cycle is complete, open the door and let your clean dishware ventilate for at least 5-10 minutes. By doing this way, not only will you eliminate streaks and stains but also get sparkling and nice-smelling dishware.
2. When you need to wash the cookware, place it closer to the center of the rack. Your pans and skillets will be maximum clean when they are closer to the water spray device.
3. For excellent washing results, always follow manufacturer’s recommendations on loading and positioning dishes in a dishwasher. Such recommendations are usually available for each design type.
4. If you're not quite sure how to install or connect a dishwasher to a water pipeline, call for a specialist. Otherwise, the washer may start to leak or do poor work. With that said, in most manuals, there's enough information with instructions on dishwasher installation. It's just important to follow them strictly.
More Products to Consider
For an efficient and trouble-free dishwasher operation, it’s essential that you treat it with care and wipe the surface dry. Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner is a special detergent to prevent scaling on a dishwasher internal coating and ensure ecological performance and long service life of the unit. The use once a month is recommended.
1. Peter Pham 13 Fascinating Facts That Will Change the Way You Perceive Your Dishwasher, FoodBeast. September 16, 2014.
2. Sarah Rae Smith 10 Tips to Help the Dishwasher Run Better, Kitchn. February 24, 2014.
3. How to Clean a Dishwasher, Better Homes and Gardens.
4. How to Load a Dishwasher, wikiHow.
5. Melanie Pinola The Proper Way to Load Your Dishwasher for the Cleanest Dishes, LifeHacker. September 10, 2013.
6. Dishwasher, Wikipedia. September 3, 2016.
7. Johny Yu 5 Reasons You Should Own a Dishwasher, Reviewed. November 14, 2015.
8. Lauren Piro Every Reason to Stop Pre-Rinsing Dishes Before They Go in the Dishwasher, Good Housekeeping. July 08, 2015.
9. Faith Durand 10 Important Things You Should Know About Your Dishwasher, Kitchn. April 18, 2015.