What is a Baby Gym
The main task and top priority of a newborn is to discover the world around, meanwhile developing senses, fortifying muscle system and improving motor skills. Parents should bend every effort to help the baby grow and learn. And this is exactly what baby gyms have been designed for! These are baby play mats with support arches to hang a variety of toys and enjoyable accessories, the purpose of which is to stimulate baby's physical and mental development through play and fun. Your little one will not only be amused and excited but also greatly benefit from developmental options offered by baby gyms. And be sure you will get engaged in funny learning games with your baby too!
All parents of newborns will certainly appreciate bottle warmers to tackle the issue of uneven baby food warming once and for all and handy baby bath tubs to add comfort to baby bathing and make it a playful and enjoyable procedure.
What Features to Compare
Baby Age and Development
What you need to consider first of all before buying a baby gym is the age of your baby. Commonly, the recommended age is specified by manufacturers and labeled on the box. Yet, you still should be guided by the weight of your baby since many models have got their own maximum weight restrictions to prevent baby gym's deformation. Next, it is essential to check what skills a specific baby gym model will develop. Music options will stimulate hearing, lights work best for sight development while special baby activated effects will encourage baby for some extra activities. Consider the hanging toys too; they attract baby's attention, motivating a little one to reach for them, pull, stretch, squeeze and even taste some of them. The more toys there come in a set, the more exciting your play will be. A mirror is another useful accessory frequently found on baby gyms attached there for self-discovery delighting and enthusing your little adventurer.
Functionality and Usability
A variety of play modes will engage baby in play for a longer time. Some models boast continuous music, nature, and animal sounds playback promoting faster baby's development, improving the kid's memory and associative flow. A volume control will help you choose an optimal volume safe for a child and comfortable for you. Be sure to check thickness and softness of mat to be sure of your baby's comfort. For your convenience, it would be ideal if the mat was also machine washable. Some baby gyms allow adding extra lines for hanging more toys, and so, if that's what you think you need, consider this option too.
For flawless full-scale operation all appliances require a certain power source. In baby gyms, these are regular 2-3 AA or AAA batteries that activate sound and light effects. It would be good to have them included in the set to use a baby gym right out-of-the-box. If they are not, make sure to get some in advance and better more to have some in stock (batteries don't last long, you know that). We'd also recommend you to estimate the overall dimensions of the chosen baby gym to know whether it will look right in a room and won't be too heavy if moved to a different place.
Fisher-Price K4562 Rainforest
Rainforest Friends Around Your Baby
Do you want to get your baby engaged and convert a nursery into exciting and cheery play world? Then you will certainly love this gorgeous baby gym from Fisher-Price that can transfer your little one into a magical rainforest with nature sounds, music, lights and an impressive array of funny animal friends. A big plush giraffe on side and palm leaves on arches add to a real jungle atmosphere. The variety of nice soft toys including a monkey, jingly toucan, elephant, and parrot can be attached and repositioned closer to baby for maximum interactive play. Designed with ultimate baby's comfort and healthy development in mind, this top-rated play gym offers 3 play modes to suit baby's mood best. The first mode activates 20 minutes of continuous music play to boost auditory sense. The second mode is switched to soothe a child with natural sounds of rainforest. Not surprising, so many kids fall asleep when the gym is used in this mode. The third mode teaches baby to spot the effect of cause and effect and stimulates your little one to make due movements, rewarded by music and lights. There's also an option to attach a mirror to the gym which has got a lot of positive effect on babies and can make them smile and keep entertained for a long while. Fisher-Price Rainforest Baby Gym has the whole arsenal of rattling, spinning, shiny, mobile and stationery accessories to strengthen motor skills, improve coordination, stimulate cognitive development and enhance sensory skills. Enjoy your baby growing and explore the world together!
Importance of Tummy Time
A newborn spends a lot of time on back when sleeping, having a nap and when relaxing. Unfortunately, not all parents are aware that for an active and healthy growth of a baby frequent change of body position is needed. While being awake, your kid should also spend some time on his belly. Let's consider the main reasons why it's really important:
1. Lying on belly can promote physical development and strengthen muscles of arms, legs, shoulders, back and abs. Babies do not get enough exercise when lying on back only. Tummy-position also allows a little one to look up and around, stretching neck and trunk which helps baby learn to sit and crawl more quickly too.
2. A skull of a newborn is rather soft and prone to deformations. So, regular tummy time will prevent flat spots on a baby's head.
3. In a new surrounding your little one will be able to discover the world around from a bit different perspective.
4. Lying on belly relieves flatus passage and colics. Hence, pediatricians strongly recommend new parents to practice brief tummy time sessions before feeding a baby.
More Products to Consider
It's not a secret that babies like bright and colorful items. A baby towel with a cute animal print will bring maximum pleasure and delight to your little one after bathing. The best ones are made of 100% premium quality cotton, they are soft and keep your baby comfy and warm.
Baby Einstein Nautical Friends
Unforgettable Undersea Adventure
It is common knowledge that children differ from adults by unrestrained imagination and parents should stimulate it in every possible way. One of the easiest and greatest methods is to create a playful atmosphere inducing your sweetie to get engaged in game and interested in things around. Baby Einstein play gym is designed to take your baby to an undersea adventure with funny nautical friends. A soft bright-colored machine-washable mat with joyful imagery of ocean life is fitted with arches and several ocean-themed toys including a crab bead chaser, lovely plush turtle-shaped rattle, nice ring rattle and attractive flash cards with realistic undersea world pictures. A sand dollar teether will become an unmatched accessory for a teething period while a baby-safe mirror will bring a lot of fun and tons of positive emotions to your little wonder. Additionally, there are 6 extra links on soft arches and quilt to fix some more baby's favorite toys. This cute activity center will keep your child entertained promoting a healthy development and providing you with some spare time for yourself or domestic chores. Give your baby a chance to grow and learn with fun!
Two more exciting items of Baby Einstein set deserve a special attention both having a positive impact on baby's development and offering the utmost functional versatility - a nice whale-shaped pillow for tummy time games and an interactive plush starfish toy. The pillow is always good, even after your child grows and doesn't need it under belly, you can still use it in a stroller or crib. The starfish toy is also great and features two play modes - 8 classical melodies that can be set to play continuously or after activation. The volume is adjustable and can be turned off when your baby doesn't need it. The star is powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included) and special sticky stripes allow attaching it to carriers for on-the-go fun or in a crib to entertain your kiddie or soothe your little dreamer to sleep. These two multifunctional toys can save you quite a lot of money that you would spend on more toys otherwise and keep your baby entertained for many happy months or even years.
More Products to Consider
Add to the atmosphere of the undersea world with an amazing developmental toy. Octoplush is a soft multitextured toy in the form of octopus. A lovely melody can engage your baby into a game while different textures help develop tactile senses. You can set an optimal sound volume to your liking and choose between English, French, and Spanish for diversified repertoire.
Fun For Every Age and Stage
Сhoosing a baby gym for your little one, you want not only to get a baby interested and excited for a long time but also stimulate your baby's cognitive and physical development. This model from Fisher-Price is an ingenious baby activity center that differs greatly from other play gyms. At the first sight, it will strike you with a spectacular design in vibrant colors but further, you will get even more impressed with unique play modes thoughtfully created to consider developmental peculiarities of every age and stage. This top-rated baby gym offers 3 play modes: a newborn, sitter, and toddler. Let's consider each of them in details:
1. Newborn. When babies can neither sit nor roll over what they enjoy to do is grab, bat and kick overhead toys lying on back or from a tummy position. Lovely music and light effects can add fun and entertain your child with continuous play or motion activated options.
2. Sitter. As soon as your child learns to sit up you can start to use the second play mode. Turn the mat upside down and you will find 3 pockets. A baby can sit and play with 5 colorful balls grasping them and putting back in these pockets. Playing this put-and-take ball game can help your baby strengthen muscles, enhance fine and gross motor skills and demonstrate some creativity.
3. Toddler. Once your baby can stand on his feet, remove the mat at this stage. Your little one will become curious about dropping the bright balls against adorable zebra and giraffe on sides of the mat. This exciting exercise might engage your infant for a long time, stimulating baby's thinking and problem-solving skills. Moreover, you can start teaching colors and animals enhancing cognitive development.
Well, to sum up, it is a functional, attractive and cute newborn-to-toddler baby gym designed to grow with your baby and engage a kid in learning games at a different age and stage.
Teaching Colors With a Child
Teaching colors with your child is not an easy task. Nevertheless, it is an extremely important task that can stimulate healthy development of your little angel. The only thing to remember is that learning colors is a high-level stuff and you should not worry if your 2-year old child calls everything blue or green. Of course, it is an individual ability, but in most cases, children are able to learn and identify colors only at the age of 3 years. It is significant to exclude colorblindness but remember that learning colors is tough even for the smartest toddlers. Below, you will find several useful tips for teaching a color palette in a quick and efficient way:
1. Start with 4 basic colors including red, blue, yellow and green. Try to avoid corruption and never say "bluish" or "reddish" since it is difficult for a child to identify between color shades. Introduce new colors gradually to prevent confusion and speed up learning. Meanwhile, search for associations and compare identical objects with different colors.
2. Play learning games with your baby, use puzzles and color sheets since learning through play is always easier. Crayola No Mess Marker and Paper Set or Magnetic Set will add fun to learning activities while a Multi-color Small Hit Ball Box is an active and simple way to teach about colors.
3. Today, digital learning is becoming more and more popular. There is a whole array of different apps for smartphones and tablets that help teach colors. Our best recommendation is Teach Colors for Android and Learn Colors for iOS.
More Products to Consider
Diapers will keep your baby dry and focused on play in a comfy and dry atmosphere. Pampers Swaddlers Diapers are designed for 8-14-pound babies and will ensure wetness-free protection for up to 12 hours. A unique Swaddlers wetness indicator will let you know when it is time to change a diaper. A pack of 148 pieces will last for a long time. Meanwhile, our diaper pails review will help you dispose of used diapers quickly and efficiently.
Tiny Love Gymini Super Deluxe
What About Classical Music?
Tiny Love Gymini Activity Gym is another great playmat for a newborn that offers a variety of features you expect to see in a baby gym. It's a safe place to play with a benefit of developmental activities and playthings to excite your baby's curiosity, stimulate senses, improve skills and encourage learning in multiple ways. Your baby will feel comfy on a soft and nice-to-the-touch mat covered with bright-color funny animals attracting your baby's attention and keeping him or her focused on a play area. For your convenience, the mat is machine washable making cleaning a breeze. It will look brand new and vibrant colors will never fade. In a set, you will also find two padded arches along with a plush monkey, elephant, giraffe, and bird to ensure different interactive responses for a baby to learn. Besides, you will benefit from additional links on arches allowing you to hang some more favorite baby's toys and a set of lovely links will help you in that. Another thing your baby will love about this mat is a mirror ensuring a tummy time fun and fostering exploration, to say nothing of flashing lights, fabric flowers and animal tails, ears and hairs that pop out of a mat and inspire touch with textural variety. The last but not the least, a play mat works in 2 music modes that include a continuous play of Mozart classical compositions or several short nursery tunes activated by the touch pad. You can't but agree that this incredible baby gym will bring a lot of fun to your kiddie enhancing brain activity and physical development while you will have fun enjoying your baby playing!
Benefits of Mozart's Classical Music
A positive effect of classical music has long been discussed. And it's no accident! Numerous studies and experiments have proven classical music benefits both for adults and babies.
1. A biologist Kanduri Chakravarthi has done an interesting study in the University of Helsinki. Two focus groups of students were given a task. But before completing the task one group listened to classical music while the second group did not. At the end, the first group demonstrated much better results. And this phenomenon was called a "Mozart Effect".
2. Music therapy has been practiced in different areas or medicine since the 1800s. Interestingly, classical symphonies produce a calming effect on nervous system and help a patient focus on music relieving anxiety and even physical pain. On top of that, classical music is known for its tremendous psychological effect taking off the stress and improving your mood.
3. Computer analysis of Mozart music showed that he mostly used up notes in his compositions. Meanwhile, numerous tests proved a stimulating effect of classical music. It gives us an incentive and makes us think in a more positive way.
4. Finally, classics cultivates a sophisticated taste from the very childhood. Our little geniuses should be smart and intelligent.
More Products to Consider
Baby feeding is an important process that starts with formula or baby food preparation and ends up with baby bottles, pacifiers, and cups washing and drying. A Boon Grass Countertop Drying Rack will easily and compactly accommodate all baby accessories for efficient air drying. Besides, its grass design will add a bright and extraordinary accent to your kitchen interior. It comes with a bottom tray to collect excess water. Additionally, you can get a Drying Rack Accessory that will perfectly complement your grass drying rack. They look great together, don't they?
Fisher-Price Kick and Play
A Good Start for Musical Carrier
Needless to say that it is rather difficult to identify baby's aptitude and interests at an early age. But you can help your baby discover his or her talent and enhance development by choosing an appropriate learning toy. Apart from a standard combination of soft mat and fancy toys, this cute baby gym has a small piano rewarding your little angel with a cheerful music as he or she kicks the keys. It will excite baby's natural curiosity and spark an interest in musical instruments. The accessory is powered by 3 AA batteries (included) and offers 2 play modes: a 15-minute continuous play and short merry melodies activated by baby's push. Moreover, the piano is removable offering a variety of usage options. A newborn can kick the keys with little feet learning about cause and effect connection while an infant can sit up and entertain you with a piano concert. You can event take the piano for a walk or to the trip for on-the-go fun. Fisher-Price Play Piano Baby Gym is designed with a healthy baby's development in mind and, who knows, it might be the first instrument in a successful musical career of your little musician. It is definitely worth trying!
To get even more fun and introduce music to your baby check a Kids Drum Set and Elmo Guitar.
How a Baby Gym Helps Your Baby to Discover the World
Why is a baby gym considered the best for the early development of a baby? Many moms and dads think they can replace it with other toys and get a similar effect. But it is a common misconception. So, let's figure this out:
1. Cognitive skills development. Baby gyms encourage learning the basics of cause and effect. The thing is that at the age of 6 weeks to 4 months, a baby's engaged in primary circular reactions repeating an occasional action (for example, grasping or batting a toy). Then, at the age of 4-8 months, babies intentionally initiate actions to get some effect like to hear the music or see the lights. These are secondary circular actions essential for logic development.
2. Visual perception benefits. Newborns cannot see far-away objects. Their sight improves at about 4 months when they start seeing faces and colorful objects. Baby gyms manufacturers keep it mind and offer play mats and toys in bright contrasting colors.
3. Fine and gross motor skills. An active pastime is the best way to strengthen baby's muscles. With a baby gym, you will have a safe, comfortable, and convenient place for your little one to play. Meanwhile, funny toys and accessories will induce learning.
Above, we've specified only several key benefits of play gyms. Anyway, you will get a comprehensive solution for your child to discover the world around.
More Products to Consider
An Ear Thermometer from Braun will help you take care of your baby's health and control his or her well-being. Powered by 2 AA batteries, it will measure baby's temperature quickly and precisely showing results on an LCD display. Visual and audio tips will prevent incorrect thermometer positioning while last reading memory function will save you the trouble of writing down the records. The set comes with 21 lens filters to protect sensor from scratches and ensure maximum accuracy and a protective case for compact storage and safe transportation.
1. Heather Johnson Durocher Best Baby Games: Birth to 18 Months, Meredith Corporation.
2. 20 Fun, Silly, Development-Boosting Games to Play With Your Baby, BabyCenter.
3. Heather Corley 6 Things to Consider When Buying a Baby Play Gym, About. July 28, 2016.
4. Melissa Willets The Baby to Toddler Transition, Meredith Corporation.
5. Benefits of a Baby Play Gym, Buzzle.
6. Baby Development: Your 1-month-old, WebMD.
7. Sandra Gordon The Benefits of Playtime for Babies, Parents.
8. Heather Slee Hitting the Gym: Baby Gyms and Play Mats, EverydayFamily.
9. Does Your Baby Need a Play Gym? These 4 Reasons Are Too Good To Ignore!, World of MOMS. June 27, 2016.